What's new

Help making a web page with permissions!

Kalidascorp

The Quick Learner
I am trying to make a homepage for my guild in the game Guild Wars. I only want the members of the guild to access most parts of the page, and other members with higher positions within the guild to be able to change things around (Post news, post announcments, etc). How can I set permissions to the page with the following resources:

FrontPage 2003 or DreamWeaver MX
Microsoft Access
WS_FTP Home (dont know if i need this or not :plain: )

I'm using XP Pro OS with SP2.

I'm using comcast personal webpages. (http://home.comcast.net/~ ...)

Also, do i need any other programs?

Eagle

aka Alshain
Hmm, dont know if I can help you using FP or DW, I dont do much with the WYSIWYGs. I could send you some PHP code for an old guild webpage I once made that was integrated into PHPBB's database (with MySQL). I dont know how much help that would be. The code is customed toward my guilds old webpage, it requires PHP, MySQL, and PHPBB. I'm not really sure what comcast offers or if you can even use PHP though.

OP
Kalidascorp

Kalidascorp

The Quick Learner
MySQL is busted, cant access it for some weird reason. It won't accept password. Anyway, anyone else got something 2 tell me?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
You could try using SSI/CGI, they are server side programming languages. If Comcast lets you have Perl or Python scripts then it would be alot easier, but almost all web hosts have SSI/CGI enabled on their servers.

OP
Kalidascorp

Kalidascorp

The Quick Learner
sure, and could i use PHP combined with MySQL Database? I might be able to host my website on one of my own computers.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Why don't you use CMS... like Mambo, Xoops or TikiWiki? You can set it so everyone can have their own accounts, and you have to approve them so that no one else can just sign up. You can set custom access for different user levels, and the admins can edit the page. Just an idea...

Eagle

aka Alshain
ShizZie said:
Why don't you use CMS... like Mambo, Xoops or TikiWiki? You can set it so everyone can have their own accounts, and you have to approve them so that no one else can just sign up. You can set custom access for different user levels, and the admins can edit the page. Just an idea...

Well, Ive never done that before but that actually sounds more difficult than PHP :p

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Kalidascorp said:
MySQL is busted, cant access it for some weird reason. It won't accept password. Anyway, anyone else got something 2 tell me?

There's a known bug that causes MySQL to reject all passwords. The workaround is to reset the root password.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Eagle said:
Well, Ive never done that before but that actually sounds more difficult than PHP :p
Well, first you have to copy the files into your server space. THEN you have to click the install button. :p And it is PHP, PHP that's already coded for you :p Havn't you ever installed a forum before or something similiar? It's the same thing (and not vBulletin, that's a little more boody).