What's new

HELP! DVD Recorder Problems!

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Firstly, I'm on about DVD Recorders that work with your TV and not the DVDR drives in PC's!

Anyway, I have this problem and wondered if anyone else has the same? I have my cable connected through my DVD Recorder (obviously) so I can record from cable. However, it does not run at "real-time", like when you push a button to move up a channel, there is about a 2 second delay before it does it. The same applys when I run my Xbox through the recorder.

Any ideas of how to remedy this?

Gorxon

Administrator
Sounds like your DVD-recorder has some kind of cache. Try looking in the setup or manual for a way to turn this cache off. It could of course be something else, as I am just guessing.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Gorxon said:
Sounds like your DVD-recorder has some kind of cache. Try looking in the setup or manual for a way to turn this cache off. It could of course be something else, as I am just guessing.

I'll give it a try, cheers dude.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I don't have any ideas... The only thing I must suggest is to move this to Tech Talk...

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
I'll try anything. :(

It's only a small thing, but it's doing my bloody head in.

/Moved.

Remote

The problem could be that whatever it does with the picture, even if it just lets the signal through takes about two seconds for it to handle.. So the remedy would be I guess to buy a second pair of cables and a switch for it so that you can let the signal go
directly to TV instead of through the decoder.. I'm just guessing but seems reasonble..

Thought about asking in a home theather forum?

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Not really, ET is usually my first stop for most problems. ;)

Sounds like a good bit of advice, Remote. What sort of cables are we talking about?

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Ok, maybe I'm totally off the mark here, but do you think this would work...?

Get some sort of cable than can feed the signal from the Xbox Scart cable to two other scart cables so you could run one into the back of the TV, and then another into the back of the DVD-R? As my lovely paint diagram shows... ;)

What do you reckon? And do such cables exist?

Last edited:

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, if you were to make such a cable the easiest would get some RCA jack splitters. That means three RCA/phono jacks to six. If you're not familiar with RCA jacks google it (its those connectors that you insert into the XBOX scart connector). However, doing this halves the signal strength, and might not be good enough/useful/wise. I think posting at a video/audio related forum would be a very good idea in this case, as the geeks there probably would have a better solution...

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, a switch box makes you having to switch every time you use the recorder...nothing for lazy sods like us (me at least), eh? ;)

-edit-
Also, if you have decent video/audio receiver, chances are it might have two video outputs already...

Remote

A friend has a similar thing. He has an xbox, a gc, a ps2 and ps connected to it but he has to switch on the thingy...Which isn't that much work though tiresome..

You should probaly go for something in the diagram but the smartest would be just to bypass the dvd recorder for now..I'm not sure but do you have to let the xbox do through the dvd recorder?

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Remote said:
I'm not sure but do you have to let the xbox do through the dvd recorder?

No, not at all. But I need to record something from the Xbox whilst playing. This is impossible with the delay.

Gorxon

Administrator
Edited my last post, but I am not sure you saw it. Are you connecting everything to some sort of audio/video receiver or straight to TV?

Remote

Couldn't it be that you have connected it wrong as it is now, so that the signal goes to the tv then to the recorder? Instead of to the recorder and then to the tv? or something like that..

Gorxon

Administrator
Nope, we're talking about a 2 second delay here. Something has to store the information during that delay, and a TV would never do such a thing. I still believe the DVD recorder has a cache, but if there's no way turning that off you just gotta live with it and find other ways around.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Remote said:
Couldn't it be that you have connected it wrong as it is now, so that the signal goes to the tv then to the recorder?

I don't think so dude. The feed from the Cable/Xbox is connected to the DVD-R and then viewed via the Scart channel on the television of the DVD-R.

The only real solution I can see to this is by getting some sort of splitter to split the feed from the Cable/Xbox into two identical signals, so you can feed one into the back of the DVD-R to record, and the other into the back of the television so you can watch the Cable/Xbox at realtime (whilst recording via the other feed).

It's just finding one of the splitters that is posing the biggest problem at the moment. But I'm pretty sure that solution would work, no?

Remote

Yeah, if the signal is identic so yeah.. But can't you just ignore the fact that you want to tape something from the xbox?

Forget-about-it :p