What's new

Help! AGP Video card displayed PCI!

I installed my new 6600GT over my Ti 4200, but i didn't gain alot of performance (only about 20% increase). I thought it might be a ram problem, so I used my friends 1gb ram but only gained ~1fps. Does anyone know what the problem could be? It's listed as being a PCI x0 Bus when its really an AGP 8x. My old video card had the same problem to, any help would be greatly appreciated.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Try reinstalling your motherboard drivers. OR do a fresh install of windows. You can also check your motherboard bios and see if your correct AGP speed is selected.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
When I installed my X800 pro over my radeon 9600 I noticed at least a 200% difference in speed in some games. (both are AGP cards tho)

Your AGP chipset drivers are probably not installed, find out what chipset you have (probably VIA if you have VIA sound), visit their website and download your drivers.

Jakob

evil *******
Just to clarify how it could show up as PCI, AGP is an extended form of PCI.

Last edited:

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
How much has the 6600GT improved your performance in games? I'm thinking about getting this card, and my rig has a very similar setup to yours.

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
You can overclock the XFX 6600GT to a 6800 GT with no problem as far as I've read. The core and memory clocks can take the 400mhz and 1100 mhz OC no problem with stock cooling.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Hexidecimal said:
You can overclock the XFX 6600GT to a 6800 GT with no problem as far as I've read. The core and memory clocks can take the 400mhz and 1100 mhz OC no problem with stock cooling.
and hell froze over last night
they are different cores, and AFAIK you cannot unlock the missing pipelines
you can overclock a 6800GT to a 6800 Ultra (as I did) but thats about it

Clements

With the 6800nu, 6800 GTO and the 6800LE you can unlock the masked units with Rivatuner to get a 16 pipe card with 6 vertex shaders, whereas the 6600GT has 8 pipes with 3? vertex shaders and has nothing to unlock, so it can just be overclocked.

OP
CrzCorvette
DuDe said:
How much has the 6600GT improved your performance in games? I'm thinking about getting this card, and my rig has a very similar setup to yours.
I've nearly doubled my fps in newer games such as The Chronicles of Riddick and Doom III, and on older games like Neverwinter Nights / Deus Ex - Invisible War I'm able to turn on max settings w/ full AA without a hitch; somthing my old card couldn't do.