What's new

Hashing

yogaman

Banned
okay... i think this is how the process is called used by emule and edonkey (i think) to ensure that the shared programs are the same in size and don't contain any errors. The problem is that I heard that using file sharing programs such as kazaa don't support it and therefore by downloading bigger file sizes there often turn out be errors.... I'm not really sure if it is really true but since I got a good connection now - and consider to download bigger files I'd like to know if it is a big deal and if frequent resumes mess it up...... also I'd be glad if anybody could recommend me any other program supports hashing

Stezo2k

S-2K
yep its true, i downloaded the one a few days ago, and there was a slight glitch, a part froze media player, but i fixed it with divfix and it works fine :)

Stez

Allnatural

Hashing is used to identify files so that you can download from multiple sources even if the file names don't match. That in itself doesn't help to prevent errors as far as I know.

Except for eDonkey, I don't know of any P2P program that uses hashing, but I haven't used any others for some time.

Stezo2k

S-2K
im sure it will be intergrated into something popular soon (i doubt kazaa, cuz they dont care about the users as long as their using it)

Stez

mesman00

What's that...?
is there any reason why i never connect to edonkey?? is there something special i have to do...i'm connected to a network at my university.

iq_132

Banned
They might have e-donkey blocked: some universities get a little upset about students using a ton of bandwidth...

Stezo2k

S-2K
mesman00 said:
is there any reason why i never connect to edonkey?? is there something special i have to do...i'm connected to a network at my university.

never worked 4 me either :(
and im 56k

Stez

Allnatural

Hmm, eDonkey has always worked very well for me. True, it sometimes takes awhile to connect to a server, but it's never been an issue.

Slougi

It runs through the whole server list without connecting.... At least it does that for me. Never really needed it, irc and a few good friends are enough ;)

crhylove

Banned
gnucleus has hashing and other advanced features. it's an open source gnutella client and works really well. sometimes you'll run out of cached client/connection nodes, but that's an easy surf and fix.

the only problem is not enough people use it :(. if everyone switched to gnucleus the whole world would be better off.

rhy

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
by the way what download rates do you get with e-donkey.....? I really get very bad ones although I've got cable connection... - kazaa always worked fine, but I fear that big files would contain errors usin' kazaa... :(

Edit: and what is the difference between e-donkey and emule...both have nearly the same interface - but with emule there is supposed to be a better d/l rate