What's new

Has anyone tried it on a laptop?

Moldyfish

...specifically one with a Rage Mobility-128 16MB chipset? It's almost identical to my desktop (besides the Rage Mobility, my desktop has a Radeon) and with similar setups I noticed some massive texture corruption/missing textures...I assumed that this was a problem with the card/drivers but then I played a bunch of fairly new PC demos (RTCW, MOH:AA) and they all look pretty good (albeit a bit on the slow side)...I've decided that it's a problem with the graphic plug-in and not the engine since I tested the same one (Jabo's Direct3D 1.4) with every version released so far and the output is always similar (they look funky but they run very fast!) Is there some other plugin I could try besides the Jabo's D3D one? Thanks.

P.S. Something funny is that most games seem to have roughly 1/2 of their textures missing at any given moment; if I go into the graphics settings and 'change blending mode' the missing textures (usually) appear, but then the other 1/2 go black!

Pentium III 866
256MB PC-133
30GB HDD
DirectX 8.1
Windows 2000 w/ SP2

borzwazie

I bet you long odds that it is your drivers. Most companies who write games for a living "fix" or workaround broken drivers. ATI has a huge install base out there, so it's in game companies best interests to make sure their games run on them, if they can.

I doubt if the fellas who write the graphics plugins for emulator(s) have the patience to write around driver bugs much.

ATI's drivers up until the 7500/8500 have been notoriously bad.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
It should be possible to use PJ64 on a laptop I guess.
You need a pretty powerfull one though but the most important would be GFX card and it's drivers.

ttroost

same problem

I have the same problem with my laptop! What can I do. I really like the emulator, but it isn't nice with the text blockouts, and bad graphics of some parts of the games.

Help me!
(same Ati adapter, and same processor)

SirLuck

Whether or not the computer is a laptop is irrelevant. Its 80% what your graphics card is and 20% Processor and ram. PJ64 runs mighty well on my Toshiba laptop with 128 Mgs rams, a 850 Mhz processor and Geforce GO video card.
Always start with a driver update before you try anything else.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
SirLuck said:
Whether or not the computer is a laptop is irrelevant. Its 80% what your graphics card is and 20% Processor and ram. PJ64 runs mighty well on my Toshiba laptop with 128 Mgs rams, a 850 Mhz processor and Geforce GO video card.
Always start with a driver update before you try anything else.

good answer, yeah. we need more answers like that around here. i like it. no nonsense, blunt, to the point... we should have a thing on this forum where you can rate every reply and once a month the bottom rated 10% of users get booted out... I wouldn't have to keep banning Doomulation etc. for no particular reason (in joke). Sort of like Darwinian Natural Selection for the forum... yeah.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
It could say something like: "Sorry, you are a bottom rated member (as rated by all other members). You have been automatically culled (pruned?) from the member list. Please take yourself elsewhere or try a new identity. Have a nice day!"