What's new

Has anyone, despite all bugs, managed to finish DK64????

Mekanikles

One dodgy bugger...
Yo!, I have patched a (f1)(save) version of DK64 and have gotten it to work!, well at least start...

for example: it hangs up at the first fairy, it seems to be completety random if one can enter a level or not, bonuslevels doesn't exit (you wander around inside them suffering from noclip), The camera doesn't correct itself when changing character or entering another room (this results in camera views from beneath, outside the level, and inside the characters!) and so on...:getlost:

My first Q is: has anyone managed to finish the game on an emulator???

second up is: Is it possible that a seemingly working patch may not be working at all, leaving bugs and holes in the game?? (Good64 recogniced it so I thought it was OK)

Reply willya

-mekanikles

scotty

The Great One
Tagrineth said:
First off, patching isn't perfect.

Second, who would want to finish DK64 anyway? :saint:

I agree with that statement, but some people want to finish the game once they start it. I think after the 4th level, that is usually where I quit just so I cant get Jetpac working.

OP
Mekanikles

Mekanikles

One dodgy bugger...
Hey!, DK's probably one of the best games out there on the big N, it's got all the graphics sound and gameplay anyone can possibly want!

Anyways, while Emutalk was down I managed to finish the game!:D

It was a little tricky though , but it's fully playable once you know what to do.

Anyone want to know how I did it?, just ask me...

-next game to be completed is Castlevania -Harmony of Dissonance :geek:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Mekanikles said:
Hey!, DK's probably one of the best games out there on the big N, it's got all the graphics sound and gameplay anyone can possibly want!

Um... are you talking about DKC, or DK64? Because DK64 is by far one of the most incredibly horrible games I've ever played in my entire life. "Hey, let's go through the same bland level FIVE TIMES so we can get a half billion different-coloured bananas! THEN LET'S DO IT AGAIN IN THE NEXT LEVEL! WHEE!"

-next game to be completed is Castlevania -Harmony of Dissonance :geek:

Ok, so you are familiar with some good games...

OP
Mekanikles

Mekanikles

One dodgy bugger...
Tagrineth, first of all that's called effective resource management, I mean how utterly big wouldn't that game be if they hadn't made it that way? ( It is allready pushing the expansion pak to its limits)

Second, Castlevania wasn't good at all (I've just finished it) the graphics is grey and dull, the game give you no clue at all about where you should go next and the sound? do not get me started on the sound!:angry:

now i think i will battle Golden sun for awhile:geek:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Mekanikles said:
Tagrineth, first of all that's called effective resource management, I mean how utterly big wouldn't that game be if they hadn't made it that way? ( It is allready pushing the expansion pak to its limits)

Expansion pak = RAM. RAM != overall storage.

And I don't care if the game is 'utterly big' if it bores me to death. I simply couldn't find much fun in the game.

And, the DK64 cartridge isn't even a 512MBit cart, IIRC. For comparison, the much MUCH larger and complex Ogre Battle 64 is 320Mbit.

The only two 512Mbit carts I can think of offhand are Resident Evil 2 and Pokémon Stadium 2 (3 in Japan).

Second, Castlevania wasn't good at all (I've just finished it) the graphics is grey and dull, the game give you no clue at all about where you should go next and the sound? do not get me started on the sound!:angry:

Ever played a Castlevania game before? And don't say Castlevania 64. Those two are HORRIBLE.

ALL of the Castlevania series has 'drab' colours; in fact, Harmony of Dissonance is unusually colourful for the series, much like the brilliant Symphony of the Night.

Castlevania, like the first three Metroids, is DESIGNED not to give you hints to where to go. The whole point is, you're in this place on your own and you're supposed to figure out where you're supposed to go, based on what you know, and what you can do.

And finally, what's your point with the sound? I liked the game's music, and did you expect much more from the sound effects?

now i think i will battle Golden sun for awhile:geek:

Mmm. Golden Sun. Not bad at all. Bit repetitive, but at least better than DK64.

Clements

CBFD is 512MBit also.
I prefer Banjo-Kazooie over the likes of Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Tooie. No crap 'minigames' to do. The mingames in DK64 were the only reason why it was hard. I say hard, but I still completed it with 201 Golden Bananas in 40 hours. 3-D games are so easy to complete compared to their 16-Bit counterparts. Bring 'em back thats what I say! :geek:

Vchat20

you know what. if they would have made a 16MB or maybe even 32MB expansion pak, about 99% of these games would be good enough to rival today's Console and PC games. anyone agree?

P.S. if noone knows, the original memory in the N64 was 4MB, the expansions is 8MB

OP
Mekanikles

Mekanikles

One dodgy bugger...
Tagrineth, I just can't see how you even can compare castlevania with Metroid. It's like comparing a new-baked pizza with last month's rotten garlic dip.(well, not quite, but you get my point)

Every metroid game (except maybe the first) is wonderful.
The reason for this is ambience and good story.

Castlevania HOD lacks ambience and has a story thats been worn out over and over again.

Last but not least, do not say that I can't expect good sound from the GBA. Take a look at Metroid Fusion and you'll see what I mean.

(I'd just like to add that I have played the majority of castlevania games. I enjoyed some, loathed the rest :) )

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Vchat20 said:
you know what. if they would have made a 16MB or maybe even 32MB expansion pak, about 99% of these games would be good enough to rival today's Console and PC games. anyone agree?
No. Even if the N64 had 512mb's of RAM, it would still have a 100mhz cpu and a 4mb's Silicon Graphics chip.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Mekanikles said:
Tagrineth, I just can't see how you even can compare castlevania with Metroid. It's like comparing a new-baked pizza with last month's rotten garlic dip.(well, not quite, but you get my point)

Every metroid game (except maybe the first) is wonderful.
The reason for this is ambience and good story.

Castlevania HOD lacks ambience and has a story thats been worn out over and over again.

I compared Castlevania and Metroid because the 2D versions of both are the same style, you're in a maze and you have to progress from boss to boss, getting new abilities so you can go to new areas of the maze.

Castlevania has a good story too, and ambience. I disagree that HOD didn't have ambience, I enjoyed the game thoroughly (Finished once as Juste, once as Maxim, finished Hard mode as Juste, and then got halfway through again as Maxim in a speed run). I like HOD almost as much as I like SOTN. :)

Last but not least, do not say that I can't expect good sound from the GBA. Take a look at Metroid Fusion and you'll see what I mean.

Don't make such bloody stupid assumptions. I meant what did you expect from Castlevania... you need a whip crack, sword swing, landing 'thud', and a few odd enemy sounds. And Metroid Fusion's sound effects aren't THAT great; most of them (the gun shot for example) have a MUCH higher pitch than I'd like.

Plisco

Sevillian
I never really got into DK as of the various gfx errors put me of. Maybe when it is emulated better I may give it another go.