What's new

Half Life 2 Source Stolen!

Remote

Hopefully it shouldn't make to much difference, watched a high res trailer yesterday and Half Life 2 looks nothing less of stunning.. :D

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
it was the SDK (software development kit) which included some code samples that are going to be given away at release time anyways.

they got the same stuff that mod developers are going to get for free later on anyways, no big deal

flow``

flow``
it's just the [partial] source, no game content (textures, models, etc etc)

hl2 will be hacked like a mf'r though :)
stupid valve, oh well. life goes on eh?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
From what I read of Gabe's post, it was the entire game engine source, which is all that realy matters to anyone who wants to do anything with it. (not having the game libs, e.g. graphics and sounds, won't make any difference, so no point in the attacker grabbing those)

Gabe also said that the reason they were able to penetrate valves network is because the attacker took advantage of an exploit in outlook express...now you see what happens when you use that crap software :p

Veracity

Emu Controller Freak
flow`` said:
it's just the [partial] source, no game content (textures, models, etc etc)

hl2 will be hacked like a mf'r though :)
stupid valve, oh well. life goes on eh?

Not true at all

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~dmarkham/HL2Images

quote from isonews forums

"So...so far, we have:

HL2 source
HL2 alpha
HL2 development tools (worldcraft, model viewer, poser, 3dmax plugins..)
CS and HL1 adaptations to Source
CS: Condition Zero"

And that is just what they HAVE so far. The annonymous leaker is leaking new stuff constantly, and no one can even guess how much he has. I am still in disbelief

Remote

There's probaly even more, from what I've seen Hl2 beta + beta patch + Condition Zero are spreading over common p2p networks very rapidly.. Perhaps a better veiw on betas will come out of this, so that companys releases official betas to avoid inncidents like this. A official beta with restrictions can never be as bad as a complete leak of it all...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I was almost certain that valve had discontinued CS:CZ, much like they had discontinued TF2. Believe it or not, valve is a company that produces a LOT of vaporware. If you look at valves official CS:CZ site, it still says that its due out on store shelves sometime during summer of 2003. Valves official TF2 site still says its due for release somewhere around winter of 2000. Both of these games were supposed to be in their final stages, just getting ready for release...yet neither has surfaced anywhere. You'd almost wonder if valve only intends to make money off of press releases boosting their stock value, and this whole stolen source thing was the result of a disgruntled software engineer who works at valve and is tired of this whole vaporware thing? And now valve is using this as a reason for why they are delaying the game further?

Well, its a long shot, but I am allowed to take wild guesses! :party:

Last edited:

2fast4u

i find it rather comprehensible that valve needs to push back hl2 for this matter. the first reason is copy protection and, as furthermore pointed out by Tim Buckley in an earlier news post the possibility of cheating devices for online matches being released very quickly was raised rapidly with the source leak ... which would prolly turn a hl2 game online into a game of diablo2 in open battle.net just to pull a comparison.

Stezo2k

S-2K
just a note guys, i have the beta (alpha), and its not really worth downloading, it's pretty buggy, and lags quite a bit on my mid range system, seems a good game though, i'll wait for the full release to play it more

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
AlphaWolf said:
I was almost certain that valve had discontinued CS:CZ, much like they had discontinued TF2. Believe it or not, valve is a company that produces a LOT of vaporware. If you look at valves official CS:CZ site, it still says that its due out on store shelves sometime during summer of 2003. Valves official TF2 site still says its due for release somewhere around winter of 2000. Both of these games were supposed to be in their final stages, just getting ready for release...yet neither has surfaced anywhere. You'd almost wonder if valve only intends to make money off of press releases boosting their stock value, and this whole stolen source thing was the result of a disgruntled software engineer who works at valve and is tired of this whole vaporware thing? And now valve is using this as a reason for why they are delaying the game further?

Well, its a long shot, but I am allowed to take wild guesses! :party:

http://csnation.counter-strike.net/articles.php/article_170 see date.

flow``

flow``
didnt cs:cz just go gold this past week?

"And that is just what they HAVE so far. The annonymous leaker is leaking new stuff constantly, and no one can even guess how much he has. I am still in disbelief" which is why my post was outdated =p

the leaker does make some pretty bold statements.

this should be quite interesting to see how things go with hl2/doom3 since their release dates seem to be closer and closer together.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.