What's new

HA! What a joke, even Nintendo couldn't get it right!

arablizzard2

ha haha ha ha! It's been a while since I played The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time on the nintendo 64, but since then I've gotten a Gamecube and both of the promotional discs that have OOT on them (Master Quest and Zelda Collection) and I just noticed when I played through the Zelda Collection (I haven't really done too much with Master Quest, I like the way they mapped the keys better on the collection) that in the Water Temple when you have to fight Shadow Link... the room doesn't "loop" like it does on the nintendo 64 and you could actually reach the door at the far end of the room, I thought that would always be out of reach until you defeated yourself (then the room returns to normal). I thought that was funny, nintendo didn't even finish emulating their own game correctly! I haven't gotten very far with this game using an emulator on the pc, so does anyone know if it does this correctly?

Oh and just because I can, I've noticed several other little things:

a lot of the blade traps move really slow... it's like watching paint dry at times

The Poes in the forest Temple used to have a cool "slow motion" effect similar to Majora's Mask... but now they don't?!

I'm sorry, but the new designs on all the blocks in the game just don't match the rest of the textures in the game... you can really tell they were added in later!

I thought the shadow monster that attacked you in the village (cutscene with Shiek) after you finished the water temple was black? Maybe it was because I came over close to night in the game, but it definitly looked brown...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Are any of these so called "issues" stopping you from completing the game? I doubt it.

Play it on your N64 if its such a problem :p - Emulators are never 100% perfect. Neigher are the roms run on them! It's possible the roms were modified in such a way so the rom actually ran even.

Edit: don't you get the longshot by killing your mirror? I think you can walk into the next room without killing him anyway, you need the longshot to get past the next area anyway. It definitely doesn't "LOOP", ever.

Last edited:
OP
A

arablizzard2

I'm not saying it prevents me from finishing the game... it just detracks from the "original feel" of the game, you know?

No, on the original N64 you couldn't get out of the room without defeating your mirror... the room would "loop" (meaning it would always bring you back to the dead tree no matter what direction you went). It was one of their tricks in the game, another example is the way they did the Temple of Time, it's really shorter than it looks inside. One would think Nintendo would be able to do it a little better though, after all they were the ones who originally made the game, the computer emu is better than the emu they wrote for the Gamecube most times.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Yes but the computer is much faster than a Gamecube... I bet that the Nintendo guys could make it look just like on a real N64 but the speed would be greatly affected.

Clements

Well, I've beaten the game four times, two on the real N64, one on PJ64 1.6 and the other on the Collector's disc for GC and all had no looping of that room, since you had to go over to the other door (before returning to the Island in the centre of the room) to even get Dark Link to appear. How could it loop if you could reach the door on the otherside?

OP
A

arablizzard2

hmmm, maybe I need to pull out my Nintendo 64 again... because I swear the door at the far end of the room would always be just out of reach until you defeated Dark Link, and if you tried to get over to the door before you defeated him it would keep bringing you back to the tree...

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You're both wrong and right on the same time. AFAIR There is a "loop" effect on that room but it happens after going to the other side and trying to open the *locked* door. After that an island appears on the center of the room (behind Link) and on the same time the doors disappear as well as the floor (it gets totally filled with water). The effect ends after defeating your dark self. :)

Last edited:
OP
A

arablizzard2

Ah! Maybe that was it! I knew it had some kind of "loop" effect! Yep, they did miss that part on the gamecube collection...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
arablizzard2 said:
One would think Nintendo would be able to do it a little better though, after all they were the ones who originally made the game, the computer emu is better than the emu they wrote for the Gamecube most times.
You're forgetting that Nintendo spent hardly any time creating that thing, Jabo and Zilmar, schibo, rice, hack and azimer... (and probably more people who rule) had spent years and years reverse engineering the n64 to produce what you get now. Nintendo basicly just pulled one together quickly... it didn't need to be perfect as long as it worked... remember this is a collectors disc and most people got it free!

Well, I got mine with OOT on it free with wind waker.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
And it might also be because of technical details. The gamecube was barely able to emulate the game anyway. The proof is the slow loading that has been reported that happens sometimes.

Toasty

Sony battery
Though it's better than most PC 64 emulators (at least until they came out with fixes), the menu screen on the GameCube emulation also hangs slightly longer than on the 64 and there is a visible "fuzziness" (don't know how else to describe it) in the buffered background image. It's true though, they did kinda wing that emulator, and I'm sure we can expect much more accurate emulation from the Revolution, which I can barely wait for. :p

Smiff

Emutalk Member
eh, even with all the source, I think Nintendo did a good job. Although afaik all the enhancement they did was upping the res 320x240 > 640x480 ;)
I just wonder how compatible their GCN N64 emu is..

Reznor007

I know it runs Mario64, but I don't think the status icons display right. It also runs Waverace, but with glitches, and Mario Kart with a few glitches. It also only supports 1 controller. The framebuffer effects in Mario Kart don't work either.

Nin_10_Dough

Even with all the official technical info on the n64 and the cube Nintendo has, aren't emulators one of the hardest type of programs to write? I think Nintendo could have done better with it, but I am quite satisfied with how it emulates those games. I doubt Nintendo would put allot of effort and resources into making a free promo disk.

bcrew1375

Nin_10_Dough said:
Even with all the official technical info on the n64 and the cube Nintendo has, aren't emulators one of the hardest type of programs to write?

Yes, they are hard to write. However, having proper documentation and knowing exactly how every component works I'd think would bring down the difficulty of it significantly, but then I've only done simple emulation. I'm guessing alot of problems in emulators are because the authors do things by trial and error, as most of the technical documentation they go by is unofficial. Then, the official documentation might also be flawed. Aren't alot of the components made by third parties?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Nin_10_Dough said:
Even with all the official technical info on the n64 and the cube Nintendo has, aren't emulators one of the hardest type of programs to write? I think Nintendo could have done better with it, but I am quite satisfied with how it emulates those games. I doubt Nintendo would put allot of effort and resources into making a free promo disk.
It is. Emulators are incredibly hard to write.
Keep in mind the emulator was only designed to run the zelda games. Nothing else.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I keep wondering... The emulator was designed to run Zelda games but... Some games that use other GFX μCodes also work. Is it possible that the graphics were LLEd?