What's new

graphics/sprite problem with Marvel vs Capcom 2

ghosttribe

i recently aquired mvc2 or chankast and i love it alot

i would love it so much more if 1) the sound would get fixed
and 2) my graphics/sprite problem would fix

IVE SEEN SCREENSHOTS OF OTHERS WHO DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM!

i searched the forums for these problems and i learned that with the current version of chankast my sound problem is unfixable

however i didnt see anyone else who had the graphics problem like me
my characters look funny and are kind of schetchy

is there a fix or a plugin that can fix this?
i want mine to look like other peoples :(

i have a 3.2 pentium4 with an ATI radeon X300 with 512 DDR ram
I HAVE ALL lastest drivers and directx

capcomgfx1.JPG

capcomgfx2.JPG

as you can see the characters have a scetchy look to them with lines and stuff
ive seen screenshots of other peoples and they dont have this problem
also the compadability list doesnt mention this problem but for other games it does

help!!!

thanks

eric

Last edited:

Mouser X

As far as I know, there's a few things you can try. You can try enabling the Z write, and Alpha Test Z write (or something like that), or you can try changing your resolution. If neither helps, then you're stuck, most likely. From what I recall reading, changing the resolution is your best bet to getting the graphics to improve. Try different settings, and see if that helps. Good luck. Mouser X over and out.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yes, changing to a higher resolution usually works. ZWrite helps sprite and depth problems. AlphaTest ZWrite fixes blending problems and textures with an alpha channel (i.e. transparencies et al).

No, there are no other plugins for Chankast. The graphics rendering routines are hardcoded and are not done by plugins.

Agozer

SymphonyX said:
you should upgrade your video card
Useless advice. Radeon X300 is more than adequate. Updating the video card driver can be another matter, but it's no surprise that some 2D games in Chankast suffer from this problem with certain hardware/driver configurations.

OP
G

ghosttribe

agozer i noticed you used a older version of ATI drivers, do they work better for chankast?

i think the newest version is 6.7

Agozer

ghosttribe said:
agozer i noticed you used a older version of ATI drivers, do they work better for chankast?

i think the newest version is 6.7
Yes, I know. I haven't update because last time I update the drivers , I ended up messing around in Safe Mode for 20 minutes just to get Windows to boot again properly.

I don't really know if using a certain set of drivers has any impact on how Chankast runs. I could be wrong though.

Mouser X

Not only is that normal, but if they weren't pixelated, I'd say there's something wrong with your system. The reason I say that, is because they're animated 2D sprites (think, something like characters SNES games, but way higher resolution). However, since the game was made to run at a specific set resolution, there was no need to include hi-res sprites in the game. On a TV, they'd look fine. The only way you might see an improvement in that, is if there was some form of filtering done on textures (sort of like how ZSNES blends pixels and colors together, to get sprites to look a little better than they normally would). And, since Chankast barely works as it is (it works great, considering how old it is, and how much development time it's had, but it's still barely working for quite a few, if not most games), I wouldn't expect any filtering of that form to be present yet, if it was every implemented at all.

So, did that answer your question, or did it happen to confuse you? I'm hoping it answered your question in a satisfactory manner. Mouser X over and out.

Agozer

It is supposed to be pixelated, because we are talking about sprites here. That's how they we're on the real Dreamcast, but you couldn't seally see it.

Last edited:

Alexandros1313

Yeah you answered my question pretty thoroughly.Thanks.It was my first guess anyway.I guess that Chankast really needs some graphics enhancement stuff(kinda like Pete's plugins for ePSXe).

OP
G

ghosttribe

wierd....

the problem was fixed yesterday, but now when i go play MVC2 today the problem was back!!!! :angry: :( :angry: :( :angry: :(