What's new

Graphics Card Help

Sonicballa7

Whats Up

I need to know what type of video card I should buy in order to get the graphics on the pj64 emulation to not be so boxy. I could see the potential of the emulator when I tried to play Mario Tennis but I think its just my card thats holding me back. Please don't tell me plug-ins because I have the best and newest ones to date from egmu. So any reccomendations? and if possible a price range from 50-150 $ thanks all

Ryoga

Lost
I'd recommend a Geforce 4 Ti 4200.
You should be able to find the 64 MB version for about $150 (US). It has the same features as the Ti 4600 but is clocked slower (you can fix that by overclocking ;) ). I've got the 128 MB one (cost me ~$180) and don't have any problems other than documented glitches.

Allnatural

How do you know you really need a new video card? While a new card may help in certain areas, it's not going to be a magic bullet that fixes all N64 emulation problems. Sometimes it really is the plugins. :)

zero88

Proffesional Gamer
i dunno about that....
I have Geforce 2 MX and its not that far difference than my friends Geforce 4 MX
cant say the same with the TI series tho, i never checked it out.

anyways,
can i overclock my Geforce?

Stezo2k

S-2K
search for nvidia coolbits..... its a registy patch that allows you to overclock ur geforce by clicking properties on the desktop, settings/advanced properties/geforce/additional properties/clock frequencies

CRi{]v[}iNaL

any ati radeon will do the job flawlessly for jabo's plugin. i cant say the same for most of the others. eg n64gl, daedalus and glide64.

only problem with ati cards is that they have shotty support for OpenGL as they seem to focus more on DX for some strange reason *cough*Microsoft pay off*cough*

Ciceron

zero88 said:
I have Geforce 2 MX and its not that far difference than my friends Geforce 4 MX

The GeForce 4 MX is a total waste of money. It's not even as powerful as a GeForce 3, so there wouldn't be much of a difference between yours and your friend's.

Tell your friend he is an idiot for buying a crap card.

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
DEAD MAN.INC said:
i have Geforce 2 mx 400 too, i know clock speed is about 200mghz on how much mghz can(MAY) i overclock it?

Well, if 200MHz is the default, you might be able to get to 290... barring smoking chips of course. My GF3 Ti200 managed to get from 175/400 (core/ddr mem) to 280/595... but 285/X and/or X/600 makes it crash.:devil:

I would just bring it up 5MHz at a time, until it crashes. Then go to 80% that clock speed, which should give you a good margin.

I like to run mine at 250/550 for best speed/stability, but lately funny things have been happening, mostly crashes... went to default clocks and newest drivers, it's fine, not ready to crank it back up yet though.

Stezo2k

S-2K
not much over 200 for clock speed, u can overclock ur memory clock quite drastically tho :) which helps a lot

Stez

OP
S

Sonicballa7

So should I get a GeForce 4? I thought I should but I didn't want to spend all that money and it doesn't do much. So would you guys say that this would fix my bad graphics problem?

Tesla-Guy

I'm thinking of declocking (yes you read right) my card... it's so hot... :| I have to use a fan to cool it down...

zero88

Proffesional Gamer
just add more fans to it. Whats its brand?

long time ago, my computer would freeze sometimes, because it would turn so hot, i used a fan just like you did :)

but i switched to a P4 from it, no more loud fan noises :)