What's new

Graphic problems with Dr. Mario 64 in 1964 0.9.9

Kunio

1964 0.9.9 is amazing and I am truely blown away by how good the emulator performs compared to earlier emultaors.

I hope I'm not the only one who was most excited about 0.9.9 for the ability to play Dr. Mario 64! Which worked perfectly on previous emulators with the small (huge) problem of not drawing the falling pills!

So now 0.9.9 and Rices's great new graphic plugin make the emulator draw the pills (hooray) but now I have another problem! My background looks all grabagey and messed up so even though I can now play and see the falling pills, I see multi colored junk in the background making it impossible to play!

Heres what the game looks like, also the pills leave a trail making it even harder to play:
drmario.jpg

I'm using DirectX for the render engine on a Geforce 4200ti. When I use Open GL mode it dosn't render the pills. Is this suppose to happen? I can only get Dr. Mario to render pills in DirectX mode.

I fired up the older version of 1964 and although I couldnt see falling pills the background worked perfectly using Rice's old plugin and the same settings!

This confuses me alot, so I'm wondering if its my system or if I have some settings wrong.

Hopefully you guys can help me out as I really really really want to play this game, I have tried to find it everywhere to buy with no luck =(

Rice

Emulator Developer
Please double check your game setting:

In 1964, make sure "Frame buffer R/W" = Yes
In my plugin, while the game is running, make sure "N64 Frame buffer" = "With emulator"

OP
K

Kunio

Rice said:
Please double check your game setting:

In 1964, make sure "Frame buffer R/W" = Yes
In my plugin, while the game is running, make sure "N64 Frame buffer" = "With emulator"

Do you mean in the rom properties check if "Frame buffer R/W" = Yes? If so then yes it is on.

And while the game is running "N64 frame buffer" = "with emulator"

Thanks alot for your reply. It should work fine then I take it? I'm sure I have something wront, I'm glad knowing that it will run right somehow =)

I beleive I had the background showing up with Open GL, I Cant remember now, because I was messing with it for hours last night at like 4am. But like I said pills wont work for me with Open GL. Only Direct X. Which dosn't render the background right.

I think Ill try my other computer and see if that works.

Edit- Interesting, I installed everything on another computer with all the default settings. When I started up Dr. Mario the N64 Frame buffer was on "Write Back and Reload" Which caused the background (everything but the pills and viruses) to slide blurly to the right, so I opend up the graphic plugin settings and changed the frame buffer to "With emulator" This made the background stop moving and displayed it PROPERLY, although it was slightly shifted to the right from when it started moving. So I decided to close the rom and run it again to see if it was working, but then the background had turned to garbage when I ran it again.

Tried rebooting, didn't help. When the match starts the background apears properly for 1 or 2 seconds then disapears.

Edit2- When I run the game, then close the rom (but not the emulator) and then run the game again I get the error message: "g_pRender is NULL" and 1964 crashes.

Last edited:

MaxwellSmart

It's my first post, not only here but in any forum. My english is terrible and I don't like to write. Even so I felt that I had to thank all of you guys for this release, and thank you Rice for all of your plug-ins. :D
Anyway, just like Kunio I was ansious about the possibility of playing Dr. Mario and I've experienced the exactly same problem of him.
I have an Athlon XP 2100, 256, GeForce2 64, WindowsXP/98.
Using openGl I can't see the pills. With DirectX the background looks "psicodelic", no matter what I do. I tried what you recomended, Rice, and dozens of other combinations.

Thanks.

Muito obrigado.

ciVick_EX

I know that this thread is old, and I know that probably no one cares about Dr. Mario. But, I figured out a way to make the game work consistently well, so I might as well post here.

You need to do everything that Rice listed above plus:

* before you begin your game, select "N64 Frame buffer" = "Write back and reload"
* when the game begins, quickly pause the game
* after you pause, go back and select "N64 Frame buffer" = "With emulator"

That should have the game running with background and pills. I tried OpenGL, but it does not draw the pills. Only DirectX does this. Hope this helps...

nightmareluffy

Narf Deeeuaugh
the rom itself

I have the same rom as you do Dr. Mario 64 U! and all that and it didnt work on my brand new computer (graphics=garbage) so I tried it on the emulator on wii homebrew and (excluding the half speed) the same problem occured. So i might suspect that the rom itself is at fault.