What's new

gotta love Canada

KingTom

aka "Passion"
A federal judge ruled(yesterday or the day B4, i don't remember) that there was nothing wrong with peer-to-peer filesharing. Music is now up for grabs, and I love it:)

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
that's not quite what they said...

Canada's music industry can't force Internet service providers to identify online music sharers, a Federal Court judge has ruled.

The music companies represented by the Canadian Recording Industry Association, had identified 29 people who had traded music online using services like Kazaa, but they knew them only by their online nicknames.

Justice Konrad von Finckenstein ruled the music companies had not provided enough evidence that any copyright infringement had occurred and compared downloading and uploading music to using a photocopy machine in a library.
more: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1080754657038_76163857///?hub=Entertainment

smegforbrain

Hmm. Sounds like the same twisting of words that convinces people that the "24 hours to delete this rom" bullshit is legal.

The only thing the judge ruled is that they can't get the names, not that file sharing isn't illegal.

Part of the situation with Canadian law appears to be around the words "commercial distribution", which might indicate trying to make a profit out of pirated stuff.

Either way, go stupid if you really think that's what the ruling says, because it isn't.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Basically it just says that if the IRAA (or anyone else) wants name listings on assigned IPs they can only ask, not threaten legal action.

OP
KingTom

KingTom

aka "Passion"
Malcolm said:
Basically it just says that if the IRAA (or anyone else) wants name listings on assigned IPs they can only ask, not threaten legal action.

and therefore it might as well be legal, because you're not gonna get in trouble for it(kinda like people around here riding on the back of a truck)

smegforbrain

:)

Even with this ruling, the record industry up there in the Great White North will keep at it.
In the end, it might take legislation within the Canadian gov't to do what they want (ie, new laws), rather than through the courts (ie, existing laws).

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Hmm...I wouldn't set your hopes entirely up. For some reason, theres an impression that politics are so much cleaner in canada than anywhere else, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

If the legislative branch and/or the industries in canada want to change it, its probable that they will get their way. From what I understand of the canadian system, they are closer to being an empire than they are a federation, as afaik, the senators and supreme court judges are appointed by the prime minister, which makes the partisan diversity very limited. History would support this idea, as in the last few years, they have imposed a levy on blank mediums, illegalized the reception of foreign satellite signals, and changed the copyright fair use laws to be more restrictive than that of the US even. All of these were heavily opposed by most of the citizens, but pushed by the respective industries who got their way.

Last edited:

smegforbrain

Yeah.

I have a friend who does PI work, and she was mentioning a case of a Canadian getting sued by DirectTV (American company) over the guy having a website on how to steal signals.

It sounds like DirectTV, with the peticulars of this case, have a good shot, but it also might be a precedence case since it crosses borders and stuff.

OP
KingTom

KingTom

aka "Passion"
"the senators and supreme court judges are appointed by the prime minister"

That's not entirely true. I don't know about the supreme court, but you are correct in that the senators are appointed by the prime minister. However, once a seat has been filled, the senators are there until they die (they can retire, however, once they reach 75 years old). The only way to change the political demographic of the senate is to enact legislation bringing new seats into the senate. This occured during Pierre Trudeau's tenure when a bill was not going to get passed. He appointed Liberal senators, and thereby got his bill passed.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
KingTom said:
However, once a seat has been filled, the senators are there until they die (they can retire, however, once they reach 75 years old). The only way to change the political demographic of the senate is to enact legislation bringing new seats into the senate. This occured during Pierre Trudeau's tenure when a bill was not going to get passed. He appointed Liberal senators, and thereby got his bill passed.

Sheesh, thats even worse than I thought...that sounds more like a dictatorship, nevermind empire. I take that original comment back, you haven't a chance really. I'll tell you what, if I were living in canada, I'd be pissed at that system, but I guess whatever works works.