What's new

good protection software.....

hellfire021

whats a good software out there to scan your comp for errors/virus/spyware/pop up/whatever.........of course theres Norton and Mcafee but is there any other good ones? and ofcourse between the 2 which is better

gokuss4

Meh...
Adaware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Avast Antivirus, AVG.

Perform google searches on all of those. They're some of the programs I use. They're great.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
i use avast antivirus, sygate firewall + hardware firewall (router), adaware and spybot for adware scanning purposes. I only scan once a blue moon, i don't run antivirus scan on realtime due to the slowing down computer effect.

On a side note - 2,200 posts... skreee!

Flash

Technomage
ScottJC said:
i use avast antivirus, sygate firewall + hardware firewall (router), adaware and spybot for adware scanning purposes. I only scan once a blue moon, i don't run antivirus scan on realtime due to the slowing down computer effect.
Avast is great antivirus and it's free for home use. For popup/ad blocking nothing is better than Firefox + adblock plugin. Adblock can not only block popups and ads, it can remove them completely, page looks like ads were never supposed to be there.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I like the extensions yes popups and fashblock. That will protect you from the annoying popups everywhere and flashblock will block all flash unless you authorize them - no more advertising flash!
Also I don't know if it is in the latest firefox, but there is also "block all images from XXX..." which is pretty handy.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Flash said:
For popup/ad blocking nothing is better than Firefox + adblock plugin. Adblock can not only block popups and ads, it can remove them completely, page looks like ads were never supposed to be there.
Truth. Well, to be completely truthful, Firefox + AdBlock Plus + FilterSet.G.

EDIT: Quote fixed for great justice.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You guys are screwing up your quotes because I never said that flash did ;) - But he's right.

revl8er

That Damn Good
First you need to get rid of your spyware, so get spybot s&d and adaware to get most of it off your pc. Then download firefox and install adblock plus and filterset G. You can also run a firewall on your system. I'm not sure of the other ones, but I'm using ZoneAlarm and I haven't had a problem with it.

smcd

Flash said:
For popup/ad blocking nothing is better than Firefox + adblock plugin. Adblock can not only block popups and ads, it can remove them completely, page looks like ads were never supposed to be there.

There's also an extension "FasterFox" that can speed up page rendering time and do fetching in the background. Amongst some other options, it has a "block popups from plugins" which kills those annoying popups that can be invoked using flash, for example.