What's new

Glide64: Wrapper Issue

Iconoclast

I tried downloading various wrappers for the Glide64 plugin. One of them (can't remember name) worked, but when I tried Hacktarux's wrapper, I got error messages:

Your video card doesn't support GL_ARB_texture_env_combine extension.
Your video card doesn't support GL_ARB_multitexture extension.
Your video card doesn't support GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension.

I want to be able to use Hacktarux's wrapper so I can properly emulate Bomberman 64. The other wrapper I used worked, but I had a feeling this one might work better.

Also, if no one could think of a solution, is there an alternate wrapper that can emulate Bomberman 64 just as well?

mudlord

Banned
Hello there! :)

It seems your video card doesnt support multitexturing effects in OpenGL, which is used for drawing more than one texture to a 3D object in a 3D scene. Hacktarux's wrapper uses multitexturing for graphics drawing, so of course, OpenGL multitexturing support is a core requirement for his wrapper to work. There's no real solution to this, other than upgrading your video card... Hacktarux's wrapper also supports OpenGL hardware framebuffer emulation (via a technique using OpenGL framebuffer objects, or otherwise known as "FBO's"), which is very useful for the motion blur effects in Bomberman 64.

The "other" wrapper you're referring to is Zeckensack's wrapper, which doesn't use multitexturing, which is why it works on your video card. But it doesn't support HWFBE in the Glide64 plugin (unlike Hacktarux's). As far as I know, there's not many alternative wrappers that will help.

i hope this all helps.
BTW: What is your video card and its driver version?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Operating System: Windows XP
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+
Video Card: NVidia GeForce FX 5200
Memory: 512 MB
Other System Details: Limited Account for Windows XP (and it really sucks)

Not that everything is really relevant, but that's the specs from found in the profile.

mudlord

Banned
Really strange..... that video card supports multitexturing and framebuffer objects...I even tested out the modifications I made to the wrapper on a Geforce 5200 (and Gonetz has tested the wrapper on a Geforce 5200), and they work perfect...maybe updating drivers MIGHT help?

Theoretically and practically, those errors shouldn't occur at all on that video card...unless a different video card like a Geforce 4 MX or lower is used and the profile wasnt updated.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

mudlord said:
Really strange..... that video card supports multitexturing and framebuffer objects...I even tested out the modifications I made to the wrapper on a Geforce 5200 (and Gonetz has tested the wrapper on a Geforce 5200), and they work perfect...maybe updating drivers MIGHT help?

Theoretically and practically, those errors shouldn't occur at all on that video card...unless a different video card like a Geforce 4 MX or lower is used and the profile wasnt updated.
You know what? I think it'#### version of OpenGL. I didn't know Hacktaurux's wrapper was an OpenGL thing. I can only use DirectX gfx plugins, not OpenGL, and I don't know how to detect what version of OpenGL I have. The OpenGL plugin known as glN64 barely works for me, but it emulates very bad, and it is so slow. Rice's Video Plugin when switched to the OpenGL rendering engine won't even let me start emulation with that setting, so I think it's an OpenGL thing.

Doomulation

nVidia cards have excellent OpenGL support. So if it doesn't work with updated drivers, then there is something messed up with OpenGL or your system.
Also, although I doubt it, Limited Accounts CAN cause problems. Although I suppose you can't use the computer as an administrator, or at least privileged user?

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Doomulation said:
nVidia cards have excellent OpenGL support. So if it doesn't work with updated drivers, then there is something messed up with OpenGL or your system.
Also, although I doubt it, Limited Accounts CAN cause problems. Although I suppose you can't use the computer as an administrator, or at least privileged user?
Well, DirectX at least works OK for me, and I have v9, of course. But how do I tell my version of OpenGL I have?

glN64 works at about 40 FPS on 1080 Snowboarding, and it loads almost no textures for that game, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., Zelda MM, just about every game I've ever tested so far. In fact, my old PC, I don't even know if that 128 MB RAM, 7 GB hard disk space, who knows if it even had a gfx card, ran exactly as fast when I used the 1964 OpenGL graphics plugin for Super Mario 64. Just as fast, loaded the textures exactly the same way. That old PC couldn't even emulate in DirectX, so OpenGL 1964 plugin was my only hope of N64 emulation, back then. So, if this emulates in OpenGL just as fast as my much older PC did, then yes, something is really screwed up.

So, is there a way to detect my version of OpenGL?

Poobah

Have you said which drivers you are using? You've been asked a few times but it appears that you're not responding to that particular question. Are you using the latest ones from nVidia's site?

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Sorry, but how do I check my driver?

I have Windows...I can't reinstall because I run a limited account, and I hate asking my dad to install every goddamn thing for me.

Poobah

I guess that means you're just using some drivers that came with Windows. I assume restricted users can't use the device manager. Is the nVidia icon present in the task bar? If so, go to "NVidia display" and select the "GeForce FX 5200" thing in the list. The driver version should be near the bottom.

Perhaps you could try going to nvidia.com and following the download drivers link, and get your dad to install it for you.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Poobah said:
I guess that means you're just using some drivers that came with Windows. I assume restricted users can't use the device manager. Is the nVidia icon present in the task bar? If so, go to "NVidia display" and select the "GeForce FX 5200" thing in the list. The driver version should be near the bottom.

Perhaps you could try going to nvidia.com and following the download drivers link, and get your dad to install it for you.
It's not on the task bar, either, and right. Limited account users cannot do anything other than view driver details. I can view them for my adapter and monitor, but I don't think you meant those.

Well, I'm not that desperate...I'm sick of talking to him. But thank you for your help; I'll bear this in mind if the same problem happens when I get a PC I can actually use.:ranting:

(Sure, I can use this PC, but the limitations of this kind of account stoping me from learning stuff and everything tick me off so bad, sometimes I wonder, without the emulation and what I've learned enough, if it'd even be worth having an account at all. Sometimes, I used to say, I'd rather use DOS.)

Doomulation

You can indeed see your driver in Limited Account. Just you can't change it.
Under Display Adapters, double-click your card, then look on the Driver tab. See the version there? That's the driver version you have. Oh and btw, Microsoft's drivers for nVidia cards is absolutely terrible.

mudlord

Banned
You can indeed see your driver in Limited Account. Just you can't change it.
Under Display Adapters, double-click your card, then look on the Driver tab. See the version there? That's the driver version you have. Oh and btw, Microsoft's drivers for nVidia cards is absolutely terrible.

Maybe thats where this issue lies...that would explain why the "NVIDIA Settings" can't be seen, and the important GL extensions not being exposed (maybe MS locks them in thier drivers, and only allows good DX support, who knows?) to applications (thus causing problems in OpenGL).

The only solution I can see is getting proper ForceWare drivers for the video card, as the video card in question supports everything in Hacktarux's wrapper. It just seems the drivers currently are locking down some graphics rendering functions of the card.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Really? Becuase the FULL name of my video card is NVidia GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation).

Driver Date: 4/7/2004
Digital Version: 5.6.7.3
Microsoft Windows Publisher

Memory Size: 128 MB (I have 512 MB RAM, though...whatever)
Bios Information: Version 4.34.20.27.00

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

OK, finally, he installed one from NVidia.com, but there's still a problem. When I use Glide64 on Mupen64 emulator, I no longer get any errors and the game starts. But now, the game either does not work or it does work but I get serious problems with the game. I'm thinking, since we took a guess on which driver to install from the site, we might have installed the wrong one. Can any of you find out how to tell which driver I should install?

Poobah

I don't think you would have been allowed (by Windows) to install the wrong one. It should be perfectly self-explanatory:
  • Go to nVidia.com
  • Go to "Download drivers"
  • Click "Graphics driver"
  • Click "GeForce and TNT2"
  • Click on the item that corresponds to your Operating System
  • Click "Go"
  • Choose one of the mirrors, download and install

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

I don't think you would have been allowed (by Windows) to install the wrong one. It should be perfectly self-explanatory:
  • Go to nVidia.com
  • Go to "Download drivers"
  • Click "Graphics driver"
  • Click "GeForce and TNT2"
  • Click on the item that corresponds to your Operating System
  • Click "Go"
  • Choose one of the mirrors, download and install
That's exactly what I did. I picked Windows XP / 2000 OS option and downloaded it, got Dad to install it, and voila. Now, instead of NVidia GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation), I have NVidia GeForce FX 5200. There doesn't seem to be any improvement in my emulation, but when playing Bomberman 64, it started to get some random slowdowns, so I feel I might have picked the wrong driver or something. Aren't there other Windows XP options, Media Center Home Edition? Professional x64 Edition? I might have picked the wrong OS driver....

Anyway, this time, when I tried to use Glide64, again, I didn't get any errors, and the emulation started. I tested it out for several games. For Bomberman 64, just a black screen, no music, no gfx. For Banjo-Kazooie, I heard sound and the graphics flickered a couple of times, and then it almost crashed until Ctrl+Alt+Del. Something's just wrong.

Poobah

Aren't there other Windows XP options, Media Center Home Edition? Professional x64 Edition? I might have picked the wrong OS driver....
Yes, that's why I told you to pick the driver that corresponds to your OS. I'm pretty sure that both of those examples are in the list.