What's new

Glide64 Wonder ++ problem

mattg568

I've been using that plugin that I got from Legend's sig and it works great, for a wile though. I've been playing Conker's Bad Fur Day and after an hour or so of playing, the game starts stuttering and I notice my HDD access light is going crazy. So I go into window mode and do the cntrl-alt-del thing and I look at PJ64 and it's using upwards of 700MB of my 1GB total system ram. When I then exit and go to Windows my PC becomes very slow. I do believe I'm using the default settings but the only thing I changed is the texture filter. I set it to Hq4x. Does anyone know what the cause of this might be?

Edit: I'm using 800x600 for fullscreen but it seems to do this at every resolution.

Last edited:

Legend

You and I have similar computers (yours is a little better) and I cannot use HQ4x, its too slow, Even HQ2x is some games leads to choppiness. So I simply use no filters BUT a 1280X1024 resolution. With bilinear filtering, games look fine. Rices and Jabos are a little prettier, but I love what Glide64 does. So I think that filter is bleeding your vid card ram or something. Just use a high resolution. I would take a bilinear 1280x1024 over a 800x600 HQ4X any day!!!

OP
M

mattg568

It does seem that hq4x takes copious amounts of system resources. I was originally using that plus 1280x1024 resolution. I guess I'll leave the filter off. I noticed a lot that with hq4x some things had somewhat of a blocky look to them but a smooth look with the filters off.

Legend

Yeah, we just had a debate about the HQ filters over at the PJ1.7 forum with Jabo and it looks like he's not going to implement them because they don't even look that good (very blocky) and they slow things down.

Legend

Also, just so you know, Gonetz wil have this game pretty much perfect in his next release, which will hopefully soon. Can't wait!!!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Most filters only improve 2D images and has little to no effect (apart from maybe some serious slowdown on 3D anyways.