What's new

Glide64 missing effects

the_randomizer

So, we all know and love how Glide64 emulates the graphics better than most other plugins, and even emulates the alpha-blending pixel dissolve effects shown in several N64 games. Well, for some reason, the version of Glide64 I have isn't emulating this effect properly. Invisible Mario in Super Mario 64 doesn't show up, he's simply transparent, but not in the pixel dissolving way. The goes with Konami games, such as Hybrid Heaven, the effect is used when robot enemies blow up after battle (the smoke), that too should be using alpha-blending effects for the dissolving effects.

PJ64 Version: 1.6.1 (the one Jabo updated a while back)
Graphics: Glide 64 Final Dec 29/2011
GPU: nVidia GT555M

Glide3x.dll is in the right location (where PJ64.exe is located), this is not normal. On my PC at home (with an older GTS 250 GPU), but not this? This makes no sense whatsoever. Any insights as to why this is happening? Glide64 is supposed to emulate these pixel dissolve effects, not making them simply translucent objects.

Games affected:

Mario Kart 64 - When a character is brought back from falling off the course
Super Mario 64 - Invisible Mario
Mystical Ninja series - Impact battles, Kong's laser beams
Hybrid Heaven - when robots are defeated and blow up

These effects are not showing up as they should. As far as I know, the Glide API is emulated via the OpenGL API, so perhaps an outdated driver is the culprit.

Clements

I just tested the effect with Glide64 Final and its working perfectly here, which suggests that there's something wrong on your end. Could be graphics drivers (I always use the latest mobility drivers available direct from AMD/NVIDIA and not OEM drivers such as Dell as they tend to be outdated). Could also be a messed up or non-existent Glide64.ini file perhaps.

OP
T

the_randomizer

I just tested the effect with Glide64 Final and its working perfectly here, which suggests that there's something wrong on your end. Could be graphics drivers (I always use the latest mobility drivers available direct from AMD/NVIDIA and not OEM drivers such as Dell as they tend to be outdated). Could also be a messed up or non-existent Glide64.ini file perhaps.

Okay, glad to know that it's something that can be easily resolved; first, I'll update the drivers from nVidia's website (which I think is 317.10). Then lastly, I'll re-download the plugin, make sure the config is fresh and go from there. My current laptop is a Lenovo IdeaPad Y570, and even though it has the infamous Optimus, I can force enable the nVidia GPU at will (physical switch). I'll report back after I try these steps. Out of curiosity, does the glide3x.dll need to be in the plugin directory and the folder where the emulator is, or just the former?

Edit: Yep, it works now. Not sure what it was, but I installed the new GPU drivers, deleted the .dlls for Glide 64, redownloaded them, installed it and configured the plugin, and now
gmiGD.png

Ugh, so embarrassed right now for not trying those steps AND for wasting everyone's time for such a trivial issue.

Last edited: