What's new

Glide in Starsiege Tribes

sheik124

Emutalk Member
i was messing with the options in tribes and found that while selecting a fullscreen display driver, glide was a choice, so i picked it, hit apply, and got this
some dumb error said:
grSstWinOpen: need to use a valid window handle

Reznor007

Make sure the resolution is 1024x768 or less before applying it. It might be a "old Glide software on WinXP" issue though. You can always use OpenGL though.

dcook32p

A bit of wild speculation

Does Microsoft include a Voodoo2 driver in Windows XP? I know that a Voodoo3 driver was originally not included, but I have seen what appears to be a driver for it in the Windows Update Catalog.

If you're using a Microsoft-supplied driver for your Voodoo2 then you may be missing the necessary run-time files for the GLide API. This would be similar to Microsoft's decision not to include OpenGL support in many of their included device drivers.

This is just wild speculation. I hope you get it working!

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
dcook32p said:
Does Microsoft include a Voodoo2 driver in Windows XP? I know that a Voodoo3 driver was originally not included, but I have seen what appears to be a driver for it in the Windows Update Catalog.

If you're using a Microsoft-supplied driver for your Voodoo2 then you may be missing the necessary run-time files for the GLide API. This would be similar to Microsoft's decision not to include OpenGL support in many of their included device drivers.

i am using FastVoodoo, not the bundled drivers, i hated them

dcook32p

WinGlide may help

sheik124 said:
i am using FastVoodoo, not the bundled drivers, i hated them

A quick Google search led me to <a href="http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/winglide/glide3winglide.html">this site</a> [mindspring.com].

From the site:
WinGlide determines if it is going to run an application windowed by looking at the coordinates of the window whose handle is passed to grSstWinOpen. In order for an application to be run windowed with WinGlide, it must pass a valid window handle to grSstWinOpen. If the window's upper left corner is at 0, 0 and its size matches the resolution requested in the grSstWinOpen call, then WinGlide will let the application run full screen using the video output from the 3dfx card (with a few possible exceptions in certain cases when low full screen resolutions below 512x384 are used). If the window's upper left corner is not at 0, 0 or its size does not match the resolution requested in the grSstWinOpen call, then WinGlide will run the application windowed.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
dcook32p said:

Windows XP does come with a Voodoo 3 driver, at least for DirectDraw and Direct3D, but majorly buggy, if you ever try to run The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with Jabo's GFX plugin, there will be GFX corruption all over the place,
you will get brown squares and a red sky.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
RJARRRPCGP said:
Windows XP does come with a Voodoo 3 driver, at least for DirectDraw and Direct3D, but majorly buggy, if you ever try to run The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with Jabo's GFX plugin, there will be GFX corruption all over the place,
you will get brown squares and a red sky.
how is that relevant at all to my entire situation, its a voodoo2 and i want to play something in Glide, not DX or OGL

dcook32p

Last try

sheik124 said:
thats what i use, fastvoodoo4 gold xp

Regarding my earlier post of using WinGlide, you could at least try it. If it works, hey, we know it's not a driver problem. Your reply, to me at least, seemed a bit rude. So you'll understand why this is my last shot at helping you.

From <a href="http://www.kineticdreams.net/underground/faq/errors.shtml">this website</a> [kineticdreams.net]:
Pod Fatal Error: grSstWinopen error

If you have a Voodoo2 SLI setup, try disabling SLI support (There should be an option in the Display Control Panel to do this). Thanks to Swift for the tip. If you don't have SLI but you do have a 3dfx-based 3D card (Any version) try removing and re-installing the drivers for your card.

This is specifically referring to a great racing game called POD, but from an API standpoint this advice should apply to you, as well.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
dcook32p said:
Regarding my earlier post of using WinGlide, you could at least try it. If it works, hey, we know it's not a driver problem. Your reply, to me at least, seemed a bit rude. So you'll understand why this is my last shot at helping you.

From <a href="http://www.kineticdreams.net/underground/faq/errors.shtml">this website</a> [kineticdreams.net]:

This is specifically referring to a great racing game called POD, but from an API standpoint this advice should apply to you, as well.
sorry if i seemed rude, i kinda did, but it was unintentional, i have heard of that error for people running glide in windowed, only because, you can't, the Glide API is for 3D Fullscreen junk, i am going to try the SLI thing, because in my settings it actually mentions that it helps in some games to turn it off

EDIT: it didn't help, i am starting to hate tribes for having a glide option that doesn't work, i get lotsa gfx bugs in OGL with this ProSavage

Last edited:

jollyrancher

Assuming you have the original copy, try uninstalling it and reinstalling it and then applying any update patches. If you don't have the original, then that might be the problem.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
jollyrancher said:
Assuming you have the original copy, try uninstalling it and reinstalling it and then applying any update patches. If you don't have the original, then that might be the problem.
already tried all that, i wish it'd work

Reznor007

sheik124 said:
sorry if i seemed rude, i kinda did, but it was unintentional, i have heard of that error for people running glide in windowed, only because, you can't, the Glide API is for 3D Fullscreen junk, i am going to try the SLI thing, because in my settings it actually mentions that it helps in some games to turn it off

EDIT: it didn't help, i am starting to hate tribes for having a glide option that doesn't work, i get lotsa gfx bugs in OGL with this ProSavage

So run it in OpenGL on the Voodoo2's. Just copy the Voodoo2 OpenGL driver(usually 3dfxvgl.dll) to the same place as the Tribes .exe file and rename it to opengl32.dll

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Reznor007 said:
So run it in OpenGL on the Voodoo2's. Just copy the Voodoo2 OpenGL driver(usually 3dfxvgl.dll) to the same place as the Tribes .exe file and rename it to opengl32.dll
but my prosavage probably has better opengl support, whats the use of running OGL on the voodoos when i can already run it on my ProSavage *needs glide, eats nvidia for buying out 3dfx*

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
sheik124 said:
but my prosavage probably has better opengl support, whats the use of running OGL on the voodoos when i can already run it on my ProSavage *needs glide, eats nvidia for buying out 3dfx*

::falls over laughing::

You really fucking thing that an S3 Savage has better OpenGL support than...

...ANYTHING?

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Tagrineth said:
::falls over laughing::

You really fucking thing that an S3 Savage has better OpenGL support than...

...ANYTHING?
it DOES have better support, i get loads of garbage textures with the voodoo2's and the guns pretty much always turn completely white or completly black, i only get some transparency issues with the savage