What's new

GiriGiri 6/28/04 Build out!

CrazyYatta

Barnito said:
click that file in the Program files and you can add ANY Joystick you want... read the docs...

Barnito

Well, I did read the documents, and i remember seeing in the "Readme" that it said

++ "Configure 1st player joypad"
And what does this, this DOSEN'T WORK for now.

And ya, i tried the configure thing b4 and again, but everytime i try to configure the buttons by clicking on em, the program freezes. I use an EMS USB 2. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix, or a way to manually put in the buttons?

MihoKiyo

The Lone Huntress
Guardian Heroes works fine for me. Check your settings and files...also try to hit start right before the sound glitches for the opening movie.

OP
B

Barnito

Banned
Whoops..

Just use Configure.exe to setup the Joypad... Sorry, the last hack was packaged by me, but not this one...

Barnito

CrazyYatta

Barnito said:
Just use Configure.exe to setup the Joypad... Sorry, the last hack was packaged by me, but not this one...

Barnito

Whenever I do use Configure.exe it freezes whenever i click a button to assign. I dont know what the problem is.

zman

Barnito and friends who provide the knowledge to the builders.

Just a point of interest regarding the games.dat file and emulation.

When you he F4 and are reading the framerate numbers are off to the left and the cpu process number on the far right. The right number tells you how close to the actual game speed you are running. For instance in SonicR, my frame rate runs between 300/60 and 60/60 depending on what instruction code needs proccessing. The game plays in a wave type action, High(meaning the 300 range) and Low(meaning the 60) for framerate, constantly changing to the sound and graphic regeneration. This has changed a little and became more stable as the sound code clean up makes a large difference. The higher the rate the faster the game runs and so on. The clue to all of this is the number on the right, which is the actual speed the game is running at. It goes as low as 5 or 6 and all the way up to 60. 60 is max, equivalant to 60 fps. Now this can be modified by two proccessies. 1) Turn of layers. 2) Modify the games.dat file. Here is an example:

;SonicR(U)
[MK-81800]
PriorityMode=0
EdsrShift=0
VSync=6
MaxTexCnt=1200
BankChck=0
CDWait=0
ADXStream=0
OneSectorWait=0
NormalSpriteCheck=60
DistSpriteCheck=60
CharPtnChck=60
ScaleSpriteCheck=60
FrameWait=0

With this I can get SonicR (U) to run at an average of 20 to 30(far right number, not fps), which is quite good enough to run the game at a constant interval, and very playable. It's only when the number drops to below 10 that the slow downs occur.

One thought, if it is not already implemented in the program is to cache the video and audio to smooth out game play and to by pass unfinished code routines the games run into.

One more thing. There seems to be alot of question on joypad configuration. Try manualy installing your joypads by going to the user.ini file in /windows/profiles/saturn.

When you see this:
[SMPC]
SetTime=TRUE
AreaCode=1
InputDevice=0 'this is joypad one, when it is set there is an id number.
P2Enable=FALSE 'make it TRUE
P2InputDevice=-1 'this is joypad two, when it is set there is an id number.
instance1=NULL
instance2=NULL

Further down in the file is the joypad map configs.

The joypad id numbers correspond to the controllers for identification and distinction.

Last edited:

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Barnito said:
I have looked into the legality of this emulator. And as far as I can tell, the Cyberdisk site is gone, and the project abandoned by sega, so as far as it being illegal, I don't really think it is.... Being that cyberdisk is gone, this will not encroach on Sega's profits, PLus parts of the emulator have been rewritten, so it isn't the same EXE that sega programmed. So to the best of my knowlege it is 100% legal, any other insight to prove me wrong is welcomed...

Barnito

Of course it is, someone still holds the copyrights to the portions of the original code I'm sure. Just cause a company sinks and someone else hacks and reqrites parts of it (and it doesn't matter how much percentage wise) does not make it freeware.

And I'm no MOD here, but I would remove those links from your message due to all the ROM/ROM links on your site. I been around here for a while now and that is a sure fire way to get banned.

CrazyYatta

Yaa...probably... But anyways, great post zman. I almost forgot about that file. I really hated how it was in the windows folder (It doesn't need to be in there, really). Someone should fix this in one of their font-ends or something. I know it all has to do with the base.ini. I even tried this:

[BASEINFO]
USERDIR=.\profiles
AREA=
DISK1TOC=.\toc.bin
DISK1IMG=

But the problem with that is, the base USERDIR starts in the WINDOWS ROOT! ARR! Someone needs to re-write something for it to just stay in the damn emu folder. Thats nonsense to put it in the windows root. Anyone reading this who has been messin around with GiriGiri code, FIX THIS. its ANNOYING. especially if u needa manually edit things in. On a side note tho, to zmans help with my joypad problem, I'm still a little foggy on how to menually edit this. Heres what mine looks like.

[SMPC]
P2Enable=TRUE
P2InputDevice=0

I don't know why it's missing all the crap from ur's but i dont know what to fill in. I mean, I know i have to put in the InputDevice thing (i think), but i still wouldnt know what numbers to assign to the buttons. How would i go about figuring that out? yarrr...

Talas

Son of the Sky
Ok, NID works now. Still no luck with Guardian Heroes and no luck with configuring the proper CD Drive.

zman

CrazyYatta said:
Yaa...probably... But anyways, great post zman. I almost forgot about that file. I really hated how it was in the windows folder (It doesn't need to be in there, really). Someone should fix this in one of their font-ends or something. I know it all has to do with the base.ini. I even tried this:

[BASEINFO]
USERDIR=.\profiles
AREA=
DISK1TOC=.\toc.bin
DISK1IMG=

But the problem with that is, the base USERDIR starts in the WINDOWS ROOT! ARR! Someone needs to re-write something for it to just stay in the damn emu folder. Thats nonsense to put it in the windows root. Anyone reading this who has been messin around with GiriGiri code, FIX THIS. its ANNOYING. especially if u needa manually edit things in. On a side note tho, to zmans help with my joypad problem, I'm still a little foggy on how to menually edit this. Heres what mine looks like.

[SMPC]
P2Enable=TRUE
P2InputDevice=0

I don't know why it's missing all the crap from ur's but i dont know what to fill in. I mean, I know i have to put in the InputDevice thing (i think), but i still wouldnt know what numbers to assign to the buttons. How would i go about figuring that out? yarrr...

The way I got all the info including the ID number for my joypad is, I erased the user.ini file in profiles directory. Then I ran GLAUNCH to set the joypad up and ran the emulator by pushing Gavionne launch button. After that the computer set the user.ini files settings with emulator, including the ID number for joypad one. I only used one joypad. If Gavionne's glauncher doesn't set up your second controller. Just set up a different controller on joypad 1 and copy the settings to the right place on user.ini for joypad 2 and then hook up both joypads.

OP
B

Barnito

Banned
Legal Issues Solved!!!!

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: (qmail 4356 invoked by uid 417); 6 Jul 2004 17:58:22 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO mail.sega-support.com) (63.95.68.123)
by 192.168.0.39 with SMTP; 6 Jul 2004 17:58:22 -0000
Received: from ecare3 ([10.4.9.249])
by mail.sega-support.com (8.12.11/8.12.11) with SMTP id i66Hm6Cw022797
for <[email protected]>; Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:48:06 -0500
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:58:21 -0500
Subject: RE:Other [#173772]
To: [email protected]

Dear Mr. Zumwalt,

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.
Please feel free to send a addressing your specific concerns to our
corporate office using the following information:

Sega of America, Inc.
Attention: Legal Department
650 Townsend Street, Suite 650
San Francisco, CA 94103-4908

At this , Sega no longer recognizes the GiriGiri emulator.
The GiriGiri team author Shinya Miyamoto is the original Copyright holder of 2001.
After he left the project and Sega took over, the emulator was short lived.
Sega took over the copyrights up to 2003 and never renewed them after the
theft of the unlock code to the commercial release and the project was canned.

Sega does not have any future plans for GiriGiri at this ,
and as you point out, the recent take over of Sega, will not likely even
consider emulation, as Sammy will be focusing on arcade systems.

Sega has never supported outside development, and never likely will.
All Sega systems and Games remain protected.

Sincerely,

-Sandi
Sega of America Technical Support

--Original Message--
Email: [email protected]
AreaCode: 555
: 8675309
EmaiSubject: Other
EmailContent: I am an emulator developer.

I am interested in the conditions of the legal rights (if any) of your now
ceased GiriGiri program.
Between it being a dropped commercial product, and Sammy taking over, and a complete lack of any reference on any of Sega's sites... well, you get where I'm going.
If rights are no longer being claimed, can you tell me of any further
resources that could help in the programs development?
If rights are to be held, can you please send me the full details.

Thank you.
submitTime: Mon Jul 05 2004 11:03:01 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight )

Talas

Son of the Sky
Way cool, then you can go on developing this great emu. I mean, if you have enough time at hand. ;)

l00pus

I have a quick question. I am new to giri and I have just setup using this post and the tutorials your site. I have managed to get the Japanese copy of Rad Silv gun running without to much trouble. I have both players keys set and all functioning. My question is I have an arcade machine I am getting this running for and it has a Slik Stik Classic. The buttons are pre bound to certain keyboard keys and my mame/chanka configs are based on this setup. The problem I am having is one of the 2 of the main keys used (0 and 5) are used for functions for the emulator. Hitting 0 makes the sprited dissapear and hitting 5 messes wit hthe background images. Is there anyway to keep that from happening so I can bind to those keys without the interference. Any help is greatly appreciated being so close and getting hung up on such a little snag is frustrating to say the least.

-loop

OP
B

Barnito

Banned
Unfourtunatly, Snail is still working on decompiling and decrypting the EXE so untill that happens, we will be unable to fix your problem.. Sorry

Barnito

l00pus said:
I have a quick question. I am new to giri and I have just setup using this post and the tutorials your site. I have managed to get the Japanese copy of Rad Silv gun running without to much trouble. I have both players keys set and all functioning. My question is I have an arcade machine I am getting this running for and it has a Slik Stik Classic. The buttons are pre bound to certain keyboard keys and my mame/chanka configs are based on this setup. The problem I am having is one of the 2 of the main keys used (0 and 5) are used for functions for the emulator. Hitting 0 makes the sprited dissapear and hitting 5 messes wit hthe background images. Is there anyway to keep that from happening so I can bind to those keys without the interference. Any help is greatly appreciated being so close and getting hung up on such a little snag is frustrating to say the least.

-loop

l00pus

thanks for both of your quick responses. Man I am tired just read over the first post and damn that was some ghetto english. I will just play with the 2nd player stick for now and wait for snail to get through things. thanks again

-loop

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Is there any way to get Sonic Jam to get past the load screen for the games, any game I chose it shows the menu, and then freezes

Cless

interesting idea. Granted for some reason when i run the emulator it to deletes the toc.bin which i would assume is why nothing runs, I could be wrong. The run last cue/bin doesn't work claiming the base.ini lacks the information but when i open it myself it has the correct information.

Last edited: