What's new

GFX Card Recomendations please?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Hexidecimal said:
While we're on the subject of video cards, I'm also looking to get a new one, not that i don't like me geforce4, but it could be better, I found a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128meg for 95 bucks on pricewatch.com. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this card.

Ti4200 = best 'value' card out today.

Second best = ATi 9600 Pro

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ATI 9200 could be good value, can anyone give specs on it?

nVidia FX 5200 is also a definite possibility!

Both cards around £50. I consider that good value.

This is for N64 emus, i dont know about PC game value. ATI 9600 and Ti4200 are almost twice the price of these cards, not good value IMHO.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
"Tenebrae is a modification of the quake source that adds stencil shadows and per pixel lights to quake. " so Tenebrae is not an N64 emu. but thanks for the link, i wanted to take another look at that.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
lol well i know Jabo just bought an FX 5200... so one of you is pretty wrong Tagrineth (!) I haven't been through the specs myself yet, but i'd be surprised if Jabo had bought a card that wasn't good for running his own plugin... seeing as he spent years swearing at sh*t 3d graphics cards and thir sh*t drivers.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Smiff said:
lol well i know Jabo just bought an FX 5200... so one of you is pretty wrong Tagrineth (!) I haven't been through the specs myself yet, but i'd be surprised if Jabo had bought a card that wasn't good for running his own plugin...

More than anything else he probably bought it for debugging purposes on the hellishly temperamental NV3x line. What did he upgrade from, by the way?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
A GF2MX. My points stands.. stop persuading people they need to spend more than they do.

Clements

I have to agree with Smiff, here. The FX5200 is great value for money card (it's half the price of the ti4200) and supports the Pixel shaders being considered for Nemu. Here's the specs off it:

128 Meg GForce FX5200 TV Out

Key Features :
CineFX shading architecture
Support for DX 9 pixel shader 2.0+
Support for DX 9 vertex shader 2.0+
Very long pixel programs up to 1024 instructions
Very long vertex programs with up to 256 static instructions and up to 65536 instructions executed before termination
Looping and subroutines with up to 256 loops per vertex program
Subroutines in shader programs
Dynamic flow control
Conditional write masking
Conditional execution
Procedural shading
Full instruction set for vertex and pixel programs
Z-correct bump-mapping
Hardware-accelerated shadow effects with shadow buffers
Two-sided stencil
Programmable matrix palette skinning
Keyframe animation
Custom lens effects: fish eye, wide angle, fresnel effects, water refraction
High-performance, high-precision 3D rendering engine
4-pixels per clock rendering engine
128-bit, studio-quality floating point precision through the entire graphics pipeline
Native support for 128-bit floating point, 64-bit floating point and 32-bit integer rendering modes
Up to 16 textures per pass
Support for sRGB texture format for gamma textures
DirectX and S3TC texture compression

High-performance 2D rendering engine
Optimized for 32-, 24-, 16-, 15- and 8-bpp modes
True-color, 64x64 hardware cursor with alpha
Multi-buffering (double, triple or quad) for smooth animation and video playback

Antialiasing
Blistering-fast antialiasing performance
Adaptive texture filtering
Fast Z-clear

Advanced display pipeline with full nView capabilities
Dual, 350MHz RAMDACs for display resolutions up to and including 2048x1536@75Hz
Integrated NTSC/PAL TV encoder support resolutions up to 1024x768 without the need for panning with built-in Macrovision copy protection
DVD and HDTV-ready MPEG-2 decoding up to 1920x1080i resolutions
DVI Support for compatibility with next-generation flat panel displays with resolutions up to and including 1600x1200
NVIDIA NVRotate application for advanced viewing flexibility
NVIDIA NVKeystone application for advanced display correction

Digital Vibrance Control (DVC) 3.0
DVC color controls, DVC image sharpening controls

AGP 8X support
AGP 8X including Fast Writes and sideband addressing

Operating System
WindowsR XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows NT R (all), Windows 98

API support
Complete DirectX support, including DirectX 9.0 and lower
Full OpenGL 1.4 and lower support

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Clements said:
I have to agree with Smiff, here.

lol, Clements, love that comma! :flowers: Just, you know, don't agree with me anywhere else! :) Most of that list is meaningless, the 2.0 shader support is nice. Thanks i did ask for a list, but what would be useful is a comparison of things like number of texture units side by side, all the internet review sites i've seen do a piss poor job of this, most even consider themselves far too "leet" and "extreme" to review good value cards...

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Smiff said:
lol, Clements, love that comma! :flowers: Just, you know, don't agree with me anywhere else! :) Most of that list is meaningless, the 2.0 shader support is nice. Thanks i did ask for a list, but what would be useful is a comparison of things like number of texture units side by side, all the internet review sites i've seen do a piss poor job of this, most even consider themselves far too "leet" and "extreme" to review good value cards...

www.beyond3d.com

I'd actually recommend a SiS Xabre 600 over an FX5200.

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
also are the internet reviews piss poor to not include the tenebrae!!

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

is it the only game of which full has the direct x 9 api!

all of an old card can run quake 3 the most good!

yes but for emu only is the tnt2 truly necessary for playing of very good games, and good gfx.

so it is also up to you the most!

liteuser

I'll be Back!
TV out

Hi
I would suggest you get a card with tv out . I really like playing all my games not just emulation on my big screen . three things to take into account before you buy one for that purpose the video is S video like a dvd player . so you will need a RF modulator if you dont have S video compatable Tv , like some older tv's. and the distance between your pc and tv for S video cable . but I will stand by tv out its a blast . its the same as having two monitors surf with one while someone plays a game on another.
paid 75 dollars for mine Geforce 4 MX SE 440 Tv out , no problems so far with this card and PJ64 (for me that is)

Hi all yes im still around .
Project 64 still number one.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
marioshroom said:
also are the internet reviews piss poor to not include the tenebrae!!

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

is it the only game of which full has the direct x 9 api!

all of an old card can run quake 3 the most good!

yes but for emu only is the tnt2 truly necessary for playing of very good games, and good gfx.

so it is also up to you the most!

Ummm... No. Tenebrae needs DirectX 7 to run. Not DirectX 9. And besides all that, it's utter crap. And to top it all off it's a conversion of Quake 1 which makes it... not a good benchmark.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Re: TV out

liteuser said:
Hi
I would suggest you get a card with tv out .

See, that's a good point. All this ranting and raving, and that's a suggestion that anyone can enjoy.

What's the TV-out quality like on the GeForce FX 5200s? I presume Radeons all still have great TV-out.

Since we are now talking about TV out, mine has both S-Video and Composite Video, but it's hooked up to a "cheep" VCR, and then to my TV (Composite to the VCR, and then Coaxial cable (RF) to my TV), so since my VCR is so cheep, it KILLS Quality.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
My current GeForce 4 MX 400 64meg only has dual monitor, not TV out. Tv out is a high selling point for me on the next card, and as far as I've heard, a lot of people DON'T like the card I'm using, but I've never had a problem with it, it doesn't overheat, it runs all my N64 games at awsome quality, and all the PC games im running (I've run UT2003 on it with all the detail settings at max w/ max resolution) are crystal clear. I just want tv out at this point, and a 128meg card.

Edit: URAMetroid: LPT SNES Gamepad adapter

Where'd you get that, I'd kill to be able to use a SNES Pad with ZSNES and SNES 9X

Geoz

De Master
i recomend a geforce 3...mainly because they r now cheap and VERY good for emulation (btw i had 1 so dont dis it):satisfied

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah the GF3 is fine for n64 emulation, and fast for PC games, as long as no one requires pixel shaders 2.0. So if you are only interested in N64 emus you are better off with a GF FX 5200, about same price i think, which will definately give you all the features for longer into the future, but won't have as much raw power for PC games, probably. but really a GF3 should be fine, it's better than a GF4MX, much better than a GF2, and functionaly the same as a GF4.

scotty

The Great One
Graphics cards, well I say that there are many to choose from, I personnally am happy with my NVidia GeForce MX420 64MB card. I had to do with the best card I could get for my PC because I did not even have an AGP slot on my computer, thus getting a PCI card was necessary. I know it misses out on many of the great tweaks you can put on many cards, but generally it has done its lengths. When I get another computer I know I am making sure that get an open AGP slot in it.