What's new

Get Firefox!!!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
If anything needs more memory, then they can simply reallocate that amount. If they don't need the memory, release it.
Anyway... with the great extension "Session Saver," which saves all your current open web pages and tabs when you close the browser, you can close Firefox at any time and reopen it. Ta-dah! Memory leaks gone!
It also saves you trouble when installing new extensions.

Doomulation

Well, I have 2 gb ram and about a 4 gb page file, so I don't care either. And you can still close the browser and restart it if you run out of memory ;)

Clements

As much RAM as my systems have, I'd rather not see it needlessly wasted with bloated or leaky apps. I have no extensions installed, yet Firefox's memory usage often tops 100MB after a few hours of browsing. As a result, Firefox is using about a third of my total memory usage when just browsing the web.

smcd

Agreed. Memory slowly trickling away is quite a problem. I've left work (using a machine with 256MB of RAM and a p3 450mhz processor running linux) with firefox running with a few tabs open full of reference materials for work and come back the next day only to find trying to use the machine basically impossible because firefox had slowly eaten the available memory. It takes forever for me to be able to recover the machine to a usable state (usually by switching from graphical mode to a terminal and then killing the firefox process) As far as session saving goes, opera has had this for a while - now it just needs an adblock equivalent ;)

BoggyB

Explorer Destroyer

If I come across a site using level 3 of this, I'll probably assume that they don't have anything worthwhile there. I refuse to have someone else dictate what browser I use on my own computer.

smcd

@ Explorer Destroyer... a lot of sites actively block non-IE browsers (using a user-agent switcher in firefox or opera and the site works and renders 100% fine in them) so why not fire back? I don't think "level 3" is appropriate, especially if you don't want to make people upset at you, but a "level 1" might be OK

BoggyB

I've seen sites using level 1, and it just annoys me.

I suppose its reasonable to block other browsers if you have a good reason for doing so. "IE sucks get Firefox" is not a good reason.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Agozer said:
zAlbee said:
I don't think most people actually know what a memory leak is. It's not a memory leak. Firefox decides to keep all this junk in memory because it's available. I highly doubt it's an actual memory leak.

If the memory usage of a process gradually increases to the point when said process takes up all your RAM = Memory leak.

What's "all this junk"?

If Firefox's memory usage goes over 100MB without having a truckload of tabs open simultaneously, you have a problem. On average FF takes around 25-70MB depending on how long it has been running.

Thanks for proving my point. ;) That's not actually what a memory leak is (although it could certainly be a symptom of a severe one).

A memory leak happens when you create an object on the heap, then delete the reference to that object without releasing the memory that it took up. The memory is still considered to be in use. But at that point, the reference is gone, so there is no way to access or free that area of memory. It won't be freed until the program exits (or with a shittier OS, when the computer is rebooted).

"To put it another way, a memory leak arises from a particular kind of programming error, and without access to the program code, someone seeing symptoms can only guess that they might be a memory leak. It would be better to use terms such as "constantly increasing memory use" where no such inside knowledge exists."

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak#Is_it_a_memory_leak.3F

That said, I can't prove that Firefox doesn't leak either, but all appears to work fine for me. In this session I've deliberately opened ~70 pages simultaneously (210 MB memory), and closing them decreases the memory usage, although not to the original amount; it's hovering around 105 MB usage now (5 tabs), whereas originally it was 86 MB. My guess is that FF keeps additional data cached for quick access. That is acceptable to me.

Also I'm still using 1.0.7 so maybe that's why I don't see the problems some people have.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Ok, thanks for clarifying it. Still, it's not accurate to say that Firefox's own code is the reason of the memory leak (not directing this towards you, but towards some other people).

Doomulation

Memory leaks can be hard to track down, and from what I think, there are still some left in Firefox to be found & cleared. But... it isn't such a big deal: with a session saver, you can simply close and re-open the browser to release all the memory it eats and delete the leaks.

BlueFalcon7

sorry to bring back this topic, but...
wheeee
wheeeeeee.gif

Miretank

Lurking
Doomulation said:
you can simply close and re-open the browser to release all the memory it eats and delete the leaks.
That's what I do when it reaches the 70~90mb consumed memory...

Alpha_1

What is this? Browser Wars? :p
I vote...IE!!! But most of my friends choose Opera, but for me, Opera is NOWHERE with Java...

:)

Jale

N00bis Hi-Res Texture Maker
I only use IE when downloading updates through Microsoft.com and sites that requries IE only. For everything else, I use Firefox.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
Alpha_1 said:
What is this? Browser Wars? :p
I vote...IE!!! But most of my friends choose Opera, but for me, Opera is NOWHERE with Java...

What do you mean "nowhere with Java" ??

euphoria

Emutalk Member
And why do you think that. It works just fine on me. Always has.

At one time Opera had two downloads, one with Java Runtime and one without. I suppose now they have only one with no Java. But you can always download one from www.java.com.

Maybe you should install that and then try out Opera.

Flash

Technomage
Opera, Safari or anything else except Firefox don't have adblock plugin. So it's obvious choice

IE is just a bunch of bugs and security holes glued together :D :D :D