What's new

General Security Questions

L

Lachp30

Hi,

Basically, I am wondering what type of security you guys use to protect your systems.

For Ad-ware, I use:
Ad-Aware SE
Spy-Bot
Spysweeper
Microsoft Anti-spyware

I was using Xsoftspy for a while, however, it kept bringing up false positives.
Is there any other spyware programs you would recomend?

Secondly, what do you use in terms of virus scanners and firewalls?

I use Norton for both of these.

Clements

FireFox, Ad-aware (redundant due to FireFox), Norton Internet Security 2005. In general I've learned to be vigilant when reading mail/clicking excutables. Any spyware scanner I've used comes up with nothing on my system so there's no point for me using more and bogging down my system.

OP
L

Lachp30

Yes, but wont a popular browser like Firefox eventually become prone to such attacks?

Clements

I don't think FF share has broke 6% yet, and FF is very difficult to hack, since you cannot install anything through it other than from Mozilla's trusted sites, no ActiveX support (without the plugin) to keep you safe and it's separate from the OS. The reality is that Firefox is immune to all spyware that is directed at IE, so that's pretty much all of it. Same goes for Opera or any other decent non-IE based alternative.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
All browsers will be prone to some attacks. Security issues are found all the time. There's really nothing you can do about that, other than being careful.
I use Firefox, Ad-aware and Norton Internet Security 2005, and needless to say, I haven't had a single problem with viruses, and mostly none spyware either.

noals

ad-aware
spybot
regsupreme pro
and look'n'stop as firewall ( <- the best i ever seen )
that's all

virus scanner ?
why ? ...

Allnatural

I run Spybot periodically, but the scans have been negative for months, thanks no doubt to Firefox. Other than a firewall (ZoneAlarm) I don't use anything other than common sense.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
NIS 2005, Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D are the ones I use. Except from some ads that and spyware installers that come with DAP and Visual studio.net I never encountered any other "problems".