What's new

GD-ROM orignal to selfboot image help

chane2k1

okay here's the situation. I downloaded Sonic Adventure 2 from my dreamcast over serial cable yesterday in hopes of being able to create a selfboot image without anything being reduced in the game. I tried making an image with exoboot which sorta works in the sense that i see the licensed be SEGA logo then reboots to the dreamcast os. So then i read further into the exoboot forum and it says it cant make an orignal selfbootable. So can anyone with more experience in this area help me out? Thanks.

ADnova

I use fastboot, and it's worked every time. Looks like the link chankabrazil!!! posted is what you should try.

OP
C

chane2k1

the total extracted data is 972mb. so is fastboot still going to work? fastboot also came with a 1st_read.bin and ip.bin in its root directory and in a data folder, do i need to use these or are they there just for an example? if they're there for an example does that mean that i have to put all the extracted files into the data folder including 1st_read.bin and ip.bin, as well as make a seperate copy of them and put them in the root directory as well? Wow i just made that really confusing i hope you understand. thanks for the help guys i appricate it.

OP
C

chane2k1

Hmm after using FASTBOOT i ran into the same problem makes it to licensed by sega screen then boots back to os. is there a program the makes an audio/data disc instead of a data/data disc. Some programs ive used put the audio after the data but i want to try it before the data to see if it works.

ADnova

Here's the steps I follow when making a self boot disc with fastboot:

To create a self boot game:
1) Extract all data files from non self boot image.
2) Copy all data files to the DATA directory
3) Move IP.BIN and 1ST_READ.BIN to FastBoot root directory
4) Run BINHACK.EXE
5) Enter binary as 1ST_READ.BIN
6) Enter bootsector as IP.BIN
7) Enter msinfo number as 0
8) Copy IP.BIN and 1ST_READ.BIN back into DATA directory
9) Run b2b_game.bat
10) After a few minutes, you'll have a selfboot image called image.cdi.

I should mention that the IP.BIN and 1ST_READ.BIN files above are from the data files for the game you're making a selfboot image of. Don't use the samples, if you have them.

OP
C

chane2k1

Thanks ADnova ill try it out now. EDIT: after trying it a second time using your method still no luck. At first a thought it was because i have the japanese version of the game but bin hack region fixed it so that couldnt be the problem. So im look around the internet and DREAMFAQ says that a data/data disc can only be read up to 82 minutes and my disc when i go to the cd player in dreamcast os says its 112 minutes 22 seconds. DREAMFAQ say an audio/data disc needs to be 70 minutes long but doesnt state that theres a limitation on how many minutes it can be. So is there a selfboot tool that makes an audio session first then data session?

Last edited:
OP
C

chane2k1

Before i start FASTBOOT do i need to scramble my 1st_read.bin or does fastboot do that for me?

OP
C

chane2k1

Thanks for the information but i've run into the same problems i had before. Does anyone know how to make an AUDIO/DATA image without burning since its going to come out to about 112 minutes? I have a tool to make an AUDIO/DATA cd but not a CDI or any other kind of image.

rcgamer

the old guy
your going to have to downsize the video and or music files. the game will have to under 700MB to make it actually fit onto a cd image.

OP
C

chane2k1

it will make the image reguardless of size. i dont intend to put it on a cd, just store on my harddrive. i'll only downsize video and audio if i absolutely must to get it to run in chankast.

raydn

*BUMP*

chane2k1, I know what you mean I have been looking round the net for an answer to just this - didnt find one.

What is needed is a way to create a > 80min ( > 700mb) .cdi selfboot image. One that is a perfect copy of the original GD-ROM without downsampling anything for use on the emulator. * not a rip to be burned to CDR to play in a dreamcast*

spunky

mad dog...
chane2k1 said:
Thanks for the information but i've run into the same problems i had before. Does anyone know how to make an AUDIO/DATA image without burning since its going to come out to about 112 minutes? I have a tool to make an AUDIO/DATA cd but not a CDI or any other kind of image.
you can try to burn on a dvd-rw, and make a image of it.

Masta-G

The problem with Sonic Adventure 2 is not related to the size of the image, you don't have to downsize it and cut out movies and shit. Just keep it 1GB if you only want to play it on chankast. The problem has to do with copy-protection, Sega put lots of efforts in protecting it and there were many corrupt releases. As far as I know the only release that is fully cracked is the echelon one, other releases will simply not boot or display graphics corruption in the last stage, in fact I have read somewhere that due to all fake releases Echelon put in some of their own protection in the image so you cannot modify it, they did it so other groups can't steal their 1st_read.bin and make a perfect release too. You can find the protection fix here http://www.megagames.com/dc/dc_patches_s.shtml but that will probally only work on the Echelon image. you could try messing around with it though. Good luck

OP
C

chane2k1

thanks masta-g i'll give that patch a try after my friend returns my dreamcast. I formated my computer so i have to make a new image. :down: Oh well ill try it out soon. Has anyone started an actual bios mod that could be used in place of the original?