What's new

GCM shrinker

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
JinXD said:
It's built into the Dolphin teaser release.
... and removes unneeded files into the gcm to make them smaller.
Some other tools can shrink your games, too, like GCMutilitie and more. Google for it, because some games need to be shrinked to work!

_Chrono_

aka Chrono Archangel
MasterPhW said:
... and removes unneeded files into the gcm to make them smaller.
Some other tools can shrink your games, too, like GCMutilitie and more. Google for it, because some games need to be shrinked to work!

little correction... it doesnt remove ANY files. it removes the extra padding "data". if you can call it that.

Personnaly i think its better to store your images in a compressed folder. theres less chance youll screw up your image this way. (ie. IIRC WarioWorld can screw up when shrinked)

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
_Chrono_ said:
little correction... it doesnt remove ANY files. it removes the extra padding "data". if you can call it that.

Personnaly i think its better to store your images in a compressed folder. theres less chance youll screw up your image this way. (ie. IIRC WarioWorld can screw up when shrinked)

Yeah, a compressed folder will pretty much compress it down to the size of what it would be as a shrunk GCM anyway. And as some people have said about the loading times being different if they're compressed... I haven't noticed any change. But I have noticed that I've been able to store 50gb of data on my old 19gb harddrive and still have 2gb left. :p

JinXD

The main reason you may need to shrink an image is when you download a game and it has already had the garbage removed (with another app might I add). Since Dolphin struggles reading the gcm when it's shrunk using another app, shrinking it with Dolphins own organises the data in a way Dolphin can understand. As _Chrono_ pointed out however some games break when shrunk, or even increase in size, above 1.35gb.