What's new

GC >> *yawn*

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Having just purchased my GC, I am pretty dissapointed to say the least at the fact it's entered a *yawn* period already. Where are all the good games coming out? Aside from the *sarcasm* super wonderful *sarcasm* Zelda (and lets not get into that debate, OK), what the hell is there for me to look forward to? The only real game I want now is Winning Eleven 6, and it's doubtful if it'll ever get a release over here.

I'm not happy. :p

Any views on this?

Remote

Sadly, I entered this stage a long time ago... At the time being it's not even connected to my tv, although that has to do with me re doing my room... Got my GC around christmas and I haven't played more then 100h on it... At the time being I have,

Crazy Taxi, which is a more or less direct DC port... It that
Fifa 2003, which is fun but nothing more
Need 4 Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, great game
Star Wars: Rogue Leader, great looking game and a bit hard at times
SSX Tricky, addictive and goodlooking game
Super Mario Sunshine, dissapointment to say the least

I'm planning on picking up,

007 Agent under fire, possibly as early as next week
Wave Race, when it gets cheaper
Metriod Prime, when it's released
Zelda + Bonus Disc, is already pre ordered will be deliverd when it's released
Resident Evil, possibly as early as next week
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, possibly as early as next week

and perhaps,

Pikmin, and Super Smash Brothers Melee...

And Jaz, you should know that Nintendo isn't all about having fun... :plain: And that I feel for you, and with you...

Stezo2k

S-2K
i used to have a gc i got it when it was released, but i really got tired of it, the only good game was resident evil, i wasnt too keen on the other games at all, glad i swapped it for a ps2, i only got £70 for it though with 2 memory cards 2pads and a memory card

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Jaz, I know you said not to get into that debate, but what's wrong with Zelda TWW?

And... I admit, I haven't been playing my 'cube as much as I'd like to right now, but I could play a bunch if I wasn't sidetracked by my PSX and Saturn, along with many classics I have to finish ^_^

I recommend Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1&2 if you can get a network adapter and afford the online cost...

Hunters: The Reckoning is great fun, especially in multi, and it's rather hard ^_^

TimeSplitters 2 is great if you like pure FPS action, and it's especially great if you have RL friends you can play with ^_^

blizz

Jaz said:
Having just purchased my GC, I am pretty dissapointed to say the least at the fact it's entered a *yawn* period already. Where are all the good games coming out? Aside from the *sarcasm* super wonderful *sarcasm* Zelda (and lets not get into that debate, OK), what the hell is there for me to look forward to? The only real game I want now is Winning Eleven 6, and it's doubtful if it'll ever get a release over here.

I'm not happy. :p

Any views on this?

yes, why the fuck did you buy one when you know you like playing the games that are on the PS2?

to counter you, I just bought an X-Box and the only game I'm rating on it is PDO, what get's me is about the X-Box is that people think Halo is an amazing game, it's over hyped crap, I'm glad I bought it second hand for a tenner, admitadly I'm not a FPS fan but there's no denying I loved Quake, the controls for the buggy are awful, I've gotten over the first play "wow this is pretty cool" effect, and I'm now into "this is the same bollocks as before" land, I've renamed him the Master Chef so I found some humour in it.

anywho, to me there are a few types of gamers,

Mr Average Gamer (Jaz): prefer pick up and play games, nothing wrong with that, but they need to feel cool so that they can be secure in front of their missus whilst playing a game *gasp* yes games are made for kids (or big kids) who would have thought! although they can get Monsters Inc. in by saying it's cool when their missus thinks it's cute and as a token gesture towards her playing on the console when in reality he'll be playing it more often, and she'd prefer FFX :p Ideal PS2 territory (who games and doesn't have one though?)

The ex-SEGA crowd, feel superior to all gamers, want to epitomise hardcore gamers, still harbour feeling of loyalty to SEGA and will buy the shit it shovels no matter what (I've seen them praise Gungrave for fucks sake!) will buy an X-Box since pride dictates they won't buy a Gamecube before any other console (even if it has Sonic and PSO)

The Nintendo crowd: yeah that's a hard one now isn't it? anywho, feel superior to all gamers (what the fuck did you expect?), annoyed with Nintendo for releasing Mario Sunshine (Fludd detracts from the whole platforming experiance of Mario, and the levels without it only heighten this frustration), have also been highly baited with games like Eternal Darkness (Ideal Nintendo fan gaming, although ReMake killed it, aside: not even Nintendo can make Resi a decent game though) and Metroid Prime, the promise of Zelda keeps them going along with F-Zero, StarFox Armada, Soul Calibur 2 (it's got Link in it dammit!), PN3 and the rest of the Capcom 5 (which all play to the hardcore crowd so I don't quite get why capcom is bitching about the sales of PN3, they will or they won't buy a game, they're not impulse buyers)

Cynic's (I'd say I fit in here now, I used to be a Sega/Ninty fan): if they think it plays like shit they'll say it (DMC Gungrave, Sonic Adventure, Halo, MGS), they cross all categories really, should have the balls to say when an EA game is good (I like Shox and 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan in case you were wondering), expect games to look decent, they know what games they like, but like to be surprised (I like MP, and I hate it in 2D, go me!)

*sarcasm* and yes this was completely unbiased *sarcasm*

Tagrineth said:
Jaz, I know you said not to get into that debate, but what's wrong with Zelda TWW?

his masculinity ;) :devil:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
/me is enjoying his xbox

Xbox Media Player alone made it worth the purchase, and its TV output hardware is far superior to any set top box of any kind that I have seen, especialy since I have an HDTV.

The fact that it plays halo, mgs2, and splinter cell (strait off of the hard disk I might add, no need to carry discs around with it) were just little bonuses that I actualy wasn't planning on taking advantage of when I bought it :p

The emulators work quite decently on it as well :happy:

Stezo2k

S-2K
serious about no need for cds? Doesnt that mean its easier to copy xbox games onto your m8s xbox? BTW how big is the xbox hard drive?

Remote

Heh, no need to kick those who are already down... :p I don't think I could motivate the purshace of an XBOX atm, but I'm getting one when it becomes reasonble priced... Which should be in a year or so, it's could be a nice addition to my black GC... :D

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Stezo2k said:
serious about no need for cds? Doesnt that mean its easier to copy xbox games onto your m8s xbox? BTW how big is the xbox hard drive?

Mod chip + Linux installation = play stuff off hard drive.

Remote

vampireuk said:
Less than a year Remote :) The prices are falling so fast to try and make them competative :cool:

I could buy one right now, or atleast tomorrow when the stores open:p But I figure, if Microsoft is gonna take my money, they should take as little as possible... And my GC hasn't given me a good bang for it's bucks yet, atm I'm seriously considering getting Metriod Prime tomorrow... Not totally convinced yet but I'm sure that in 6-8h I'll be... :D

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Stezo2k said:

The xbox comes with a little 8 gigger, I replaced it with a 60 gigger that I took out of my gentoo server. (which was in turn replaced by a 120 gigger)

Assuming the average xbox game is 5 gigs (I don't know if thats the actual number, I am just throwing out a rather liberal guess. They vary, mgs2 is 6 gigs, simpsons road rage is 300 megs.), this hard drive could hold 12+ games. On techtv, they showed an xbox that had 50 games on a 120 gigger. 50 discs is a lot to carry around otherwise :p

And btw, you do not have to install linux on your xbox to play games off of the HDD, you just need a modchip and the necessary software which is readily available. (can't play games on the HDD without a modchip)

I actualy installed gentoo on it an hour ago just for kicks though :linux:

It goes without saying, but microsoft actualy lost $100 just for me to do all of this. As for the games themselves, I rarely play em. (to me they are just an added bonus, although they are fun, I rarely play games these days)

Last edited:

Remote

AlphaWolf said:
As for the games themselves, I rarely play em. (to me they are just an added bonus, although they are fun, I rarely play games these days)

So true, so true... :)

Plisco

Sevillian
I just bought an X-Box and the only game I'm rating on it is PDO, what get's me is about the X-Box is that people think Halo is an amazing game, it's over hyped crap,I'm glad I bought it second hand for a tenner, admitadly I'm not a FPS fan but there's no denying I loved Quake, the controls for the buggy are awful, I've gotten over the first play "wow this is pretty cool" effect, and I'm now into "this is the same bollocks as before" land, I've renamed him the Master Chef so I found some humour in it.
I too think Halo is overhyped and crap:)
There are still plenty to look forward to on the GC
Final Fantasy
F-Zero
Splinter Cell (the 'X-Box Exclusive :getlost: )
Mario Kart
Mario 128 (supposedly out this year :getlost: )
And Jazz you seem the kind of guy who likes Pokemon.lol. I am sure there will be a few out this year on the gc as well.

Stezo2k

S-2K
AlphaWolf said:
The xbox comes with a little 8 gigger, I replaced it with a 60 gigger that I took out of my gentoo server. (which was in turn replaced by a 120 gigger)

Assuming the average xbox game is 5 gigs (I don't know if thats the actual number, I am just throwing out a rather liberal guess. They vary, mgs2 is 6 gigs, simpsons road rage is 300 megs.), this hard drive could hold 12+ games. On techtv, they showed an xbox that had 50 games on a 120 gigger. 50 discs is a lot to carry around otherwise :p

And btw, you do not have to install linux on your xbox to play games off of the HDD, you just need a modchip and the necessary software which is readily available. (can't play games on the HDD without a modchip)

I actualy installed gentoo on it an hour ago just for kicks though :linux:

It goes without saying, but microsoft actualy lost $100 just for me to do all of this. As for the games themselves, I rarely play em. (to me they are just an added bonus, although they are fun, I rarely play games these days)

thats smart man, might get one of them in time, saves me from buying a divx compatible dvd player for £200, plus its a game console too :) btw i heard a roumour u can install XP on xbox, is this true?

Davemc

Dave
I bought a Gamecube a couple of weeks back. I only have Timesplitters 2. I haven't played it that much, but I will when I can be bothered to get more than 1 controller. ;)

And yes, Halo is shit, but multiplayer isn't too bad. I played 8 player the other day it and it was pretty cool. 1 player is shite though. Seen it all before.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Stezo2k said:
thats smart man, might get one of them in time, saves me from buying a divx compatible dvd player for £200, plus its a game console too :) btw i heard a roumour u can install XP on xbox, is this true?

Yeah, I haven't tried to put XP on it, but I wouldn't doubt that its possible, since you can run vmware and bochs in linux on xbox.

Heres more info about what XBMP does:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/newweb/info_project.htm