What's new

GAP-0.4 compilation error DEBIAN

plagerism

I am new to the world of mopen, and only stumbled onto after playing with zsnes. I got it up and running, with a few roms to games that I own. The only issue that I am having, is that I am currently using ALSA, and I have been unable to get sound to work correctly. I have tried all the plugins, using both oss-emulation, sdl using oss-emulation, sdl using SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa, and nothing seems to work. All outcomes involving the oss-emulation create choppy sound, that I cannot use. As a last ditch effort I am trying to compile GAP in hopes that I will then be able to use ALSA natively rather than through OSS emulation. Unfortunately when I try to compile GAP I get these two error messages:

g++ -c -I/usr/include/alsa -mmmx -O2 -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fno-rtti -funroll-loops -fconserve-space -fno-access-control -fno-enforce-eh-specs -fno-optional-diags -Wno-pmf-conversions -fpic -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -DNO_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -o audio.o audio.cpp
In file included from namespaces.h:32,
from audio.cpp:22:
/usr/include/alsa/mixer.h:157: error: syntax error before `*' token
/usr/include/alsa/mixer.h:159: error: syntax error before `*' token
make: *** [audio.o] Error 1

I cant figure it out. IF anyone out there has seen this and have been able to fix it, or can fix it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance
Plagerism

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
hmm strange... the problem appear in the alsa headers... Do you have already successfuly compiled another alsa program ? If so, check which symbols are used in these lines and check if these symbols aren't also used in the GAP plugin. Maybe there are two variables with the same name or something like that. If it's not the problem maybe one of the symbols used in these lines need that GAP include another header... i don't know alsa well enough to tell which header it can be tho.

I guess the problem occurs with very recent version of alsa, that's why i've never seen it.

OP
P

plagerism

Programs compiled with working alsa support are linked with /usr/lib/libasound.so.2. I have libasound2 version 1.0.7. What version of alsa did you compile this against??

OP
P

plagerism

I fiddled around with some of the code, and I got it to compile, not sure what exactly was wrong with the code, however at one point he included mixer.h from the alsa libraries, which according to the people in #alsa on irc.freenode.org this should not be done.

Getting it compiled did not help much, since I still get very choppy audio. Could this be due to my audio card?? I do have a very old integrated audio card. It hasnt caused me any problems in the past, however I havent done much with audio besides listening to mp3s and what not.

I have attempted to fiddle with the settings, but to no avail, I still get choppy audio.

Any ideas as to how I can resolve this issue, short of running out and buying a new sound card.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
When i upgraded my PC a few months ago, i had the same problem, the solution was to use mupen64 audio plugin and to activate the speed limiter that was done a long time ago in mupen64 core. It will be included in the next release. If you don't want to wait, you can open main/gui_gtk/main_gtk.c file and uncomment the new_vi function.