What's new

Games to EXE files??

Binary64

:pj64: Hi there
I have a question about the Dynamic Recompilation and how it`s works. Ok, when Project64 is starting with emulation and the "DynRecomp." in the RSP is selected what does happen??
Does the emu creates a hidden exe file on the disk (with the full code of the translated game) or does it write to the memory?? Is it possible to convert games to separate exe files?? That was a great feature for Project64!!! This does not mean that Project64 is bad or not good enough, no! no! no!, Project64 is a realy great emulater, the best i`ve ever seen!!!! PRJ64 can set a logo in the corner or a boot screen with "Converted by Project64" in the exe file, if possible to create them. (That are my Dreams for N64!!) :inlove: :pj64:

Denis

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it is not the data in the rom that's recompiled, it's the constantly changing instructions in the game's working memory space i.e. what would be the N64 hardware, not software. The original game code is never tampered with (although the game may act differently as the emulator does not provide quite the same responses as the original hardware). Basically, the game is in control and the emulator is just trying not to f**k up (i.e. constantly active and trying not to provide a response that's too different to what real N64 hardware would provide). You cannot port a game without the source code to the game, which is not available (the data in the rom is a game compiled for the N64 hardware, and you cannot somehow recompile the whole thing once in advance because you cannot tell what it's going to do until you play it, i.e. run it on the original or simulated hardware). Without getting too philosophical, a computer game that you experience is the manifestation of the interaction of the program in the ROM with the hardware it's made for (or an emulator made for that hardware), neither on their own mean anything. Er, hope this makes sense :)

I'm going to stop editing this post now cos i could be here all night and it probably wouldn't get any clearer.

Last edited:
OP
B

Binary64

:pj64: It`s ok this is hard to program and no coder became realy any ideas to make this. :( But This was only a thought by me.

The other "possible" way would be to create a exe with the emulator and his whole Plugins + the rom image as append, that would be actually a working idea, but not so importantly :)

So, we should set a point on the emulation self, to make
real problems better.

Greets, Denis

:pj64: :pj64:

tooie

if you wanted to mix the emulator with the rom then possible .. but this is basicly the way it current works.

It is possible, but only just barely to do what your asking .. It would have to work out exactly what the rom is trying to do ... you would probaly have to port some of it your self. The problem is that the whole executable code is not loaded to memroy then run like a normal program .. it is dynamicly loaded and changed. With out the static code it becomes virtually impossible. you would have to do enougth anaysis of what the game was trying to do to determine when it is loading new code, and where you should be refrencing old and new code.

not to mention your still tied down on how it uses the n64 hardware .. it may be possible to change some of that .. but not likely ..

this does not even touch on the copyright issues as well which would make it a valid legal target, where current emulators get around this.