What's new

Games that cannot be finished

ZakkWylde

I've noticed that there are a few games listed on the PJ64's compatibility list that are labled as playable, but contain glitches that prevent the completion of the game. SO far, I know that Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Gauntlet legends are in this category.
What bothers me is the lack of comments in any ini file or faq that addresses ALL of these games. If I am mistaken and there is a COMPLETE list, can someone please post it? Otherwise, reply with a list of games that you could not finish yourself due to a fatal glitch.

Royal Fool

Your resident know-it-all
If there isn't any yet, maybe we could start compiling our own FAQ addressing the problems in-depth and explaining the glitches...

Nice idea.

OmegaFirebolt

Using PJ64 1.40 I found a game that is listed in the rom browser as uncertain but in the notes it says that the game can only be played to the end of the first round. I found a fix for that and was able to play the game all the way to the end.

The game is called Dual Heros. To get it to work, load the rom then change the rom settings for it so that Large Buffer compile is checked and set the 8 meg option to on. Don't really know if the last part is really needed but I changed both of those at same time and it worked. I will check later to find out if the 8 meg option really needs to be on but right now I am at college and won't get back home for another 8 hrs. If anyone else wants to check it in the mean time then by all means do so. BTW, I used the character named "Jule" or something close to that. The game has a few probs with menus as well but then again that is a plugin prob.

RadeonUser

I highly doubt the 8 meg thing is needed, it's only needed with games that make use of the extra 4 MB of RDRAM (Expansion Pak)

Large Complie Buffer is sometimes needed for certain games... Since PJ64 1.4 wasn't throughly tested to see it's full compatibility... Some roms will be playable by just changing a few options.

From the manual:

"Larger Compiler Buffer"

Possible settings: checked or unchecked

default setting unchecked
generally recommended setting: unchecked unless it helps
Yet another highly technical setting. Some games generate particularly complex code structures which tend to overlow the default 20MB compiler buffer and stall the system. By enabling this a game will be given a 50MB buffer, which obviously increases resource usage but may help reduce occurence of overflows and thus improve performance. Most games do not need more than 20MB hence this will usually only waste resources.

Royal Fool

I think I'll check it out today, if I can find a good ROM... I've found numerous DK64 ROMs, but they were all bad versions ???

dave_luther

Dangerous Dave
i cant even start a game in DK, it shows the beginning (nintendo logo, etc) and then an error, i have the good [E] rom, "SW TLB" : 0 is the error

OmegaFirebolt

Actually I thought that about the 8 meg thing but I tested Dual Heros before and after and with the default settings in the .rdb it locked with an error after 1 round in the first match. I changed the settings so it would use the large buffer and it lets me finish not only the match but the rest of the matches as well as showing the ending for the fighter. As for the DK thing, can't help there. Don't have the rom, yet....

Hottoast

Just checked DK64 (U) [!] with the large buffer option ticked.

Sorry folks no go, still get the same error message.

Guess i'll have to stick to 1964 for that one.

adi

get out of my house
Is Perfect Dark finishable? Please someone inform me as I'm just about to start it and don't want to hit some unknown error.

Royal Fool

theacj:

Well, I think it's largely unknown whether or not it's possible to finish it. You probably can, but be advised that you could always run into some unknown glitch or error...

Zombie9920

Donkey Kong 64 works fine for me.

Settings

-
Options

All boxes checked except "On loading a ROM go full screen"

CPU Core Style = Recompiler
Self-Mod code method = Check Memory&Cache
N64 4MB expansion pak = Using
Advanced Block Linking = On

-
Rom Settings

CPU Core Style = Recompiler
Self modifying code method = Check Memory&Cache
N64 4MB expansion pak = Using
Advanced Block Linking = On
Default Save Type = Automatically Detect
Counter Factor = 2

Large Compile Buffer = unchecked
Use TLB = Checked
Register Caching = Checked

-
Video settings(Direct3D 7 1.40 plugin)

Direct 3D T&L HAL
Triple Buffer
All three settings are unchecked

Emulation tab
Geometry Transfers = Automatic
Texture Format = 16 and 32bpp
Enable Fog = checked
Enable Display List Culling = checked
the other 2 are unchecked

Advanced Tab
Frame Buffer emulation = None
All three are unchecked

I am using the (U)! version of the ROM. If you need me to upload a save state to get past the beginning I can.

Zombie9920

There is 1 problem with DK64 for me though. I can't save the game, so I have to use Quick Save(press F5) to save my state and I have to press F7 to load the state when I play it again.

Hottoast

Quote from Zombie9920

Donkey Kong 64 works fine for me.

Interesting that your rom settings include a counter factor of 2. Please correct me if i am wrong but i don't think Project 64 makes use of counter factors. does it?

1964 does.