What's new

games running too fast

twelvenine

i'm trying to play SOA on chankast, but it's always running way too fast. like 70+ fps. vyse runs around like sonic the hedgehog(it's kinda cool). i think it's also what is causing the sound to be out of sync with the action, especially when i use a spell or special attack in battle. i've tried setting my nvidia driver to force vsync(60hz), but it didn't work. isn't 60 fps too fast anyway? what was the original frame rate on the dreamcast?
i also tried chankastEX and turned on frame limiting, but that doesn't seem to work according to fraps. i tried using cpukiller3 and disabling 3 of my cpu cores, but the game still races along at like 70 to 100 fps. anybody have any tweaks or suggestions to fix this?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
1. The only way to slow down Chankast is to set your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz and then forcing VSync from your graphics card's drivers.
2. The above solution doesn't work for some and works for others. Same with ChankastEX's frame limiter option.
3. You should probably ditch Chankast for good and use nullDC instead, but it's not like I'm forcing you to switch or anything.

Games run at either 50hz refresh (PAL) or 60Hz refresh (NTSC). You could say 50fps and 60fps respectively, but the internal fps of specific games may vary.

Last edited:
OP
T

twelvenine

i guess it doesn't work for me. most of the options from nvidia control panel don't get applied to emulators for some reason. for example, i have sli enabled and it never gets used with emulators even though pc games like call of duty and crysis will use sli. i haven't tried nulldc yet but i will. thanks.

OP
T

twelvenine

wow... it runs great with nulldc. speed feels just right(about 30 fps) without any kind of framerate forcing. its freaking amazing and it's barely a beta version, there doesn't even seem to be a formal project(or project page) yet. somebody get them a forum on emutalk and host their files... i almost missed this because emutalk is the only place i bother to look for emulators(which might be stupid now that i'm thinking about it).

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
IIRC, Emuforums is where nullDC currently takes up residence. Other than that, no official homepage exists. You might want to keep an eye on Makaron as well.

Last edited:

Turbo44

hmmm i think that might be my problem as well

ill try nullDC and see how it runs

thanks for the help