What's new

gamepad analog sticks sorta weird

the_neiler

Okay, now, I've been sorta struggling with this problem all day, and basically from when I started playing with N64 emulators.

I use gamepads to play my games, since keyboard alone is a bit hard (especially when going multiplayer). I'm currently using the Saitek P990 gamepad, since it has 6 face buttons.

Now, my problem is that the left analog stick I use to play the games behaves much as if it was digital. I can move in 8 directions, with no variation in intensity. I either run, or I don't move. There's no trot or walk or anything, just run.

I've tried different plugins and they all return the same result. I tried a different controller (a Logitech dual-analog controller w/ rumble) and that actually worked, but I like my Saitek one better.

Any way to make the analog sticks work correctly? Willing to post any information you ask for (this is my first post, and I'm not sure how informative it really is).

Iconoclast

Jabo's DirectInput, N64 VirtualPad and N-Rage's DirectInput all support analog control sensitivity adjustment.

in dinput it is deadzone, in n64vp it's analog stick/range

OP
T

the_neiler

Jabo's DirectInput, N64 VirtualPad and N-Rage's DirectInput all support analog control sensitivity adjustment.

in dinput it is deadzone, in n64vp it's analog stick/range

Changing the deadzone doesn't do anything -- it just makes me have to push the joystick a little further before the movement registers as 100% with no in-between values.

And changing the range of it will only change the cap on how high the movement will register. So instead of going 0-100% with no in-between, it'll go maybe 0-70% also with no in-between.

Are there any other things I can do?

Allnatural

I notice that your controller has a digital/analog swap button (as many do). Your sticks are currently in digital mode. Press the button...

OP
T

the_neiler

I notice that your controller has a digital/analog swap button (as many do). Your sticks are currently in digital mode. Press the button...

I wish it were this simple; the analog/digital switch on this controller seems to only make the joystick and the D-pad sort of switch roles..
On my controller, I have the left-stick mapped as the N64 analog stick, and I have the POV-pad mapped as the N64's D-pad. When I hit the analog/digital switch button, it makes the analog stick register as the N64 D-pad, and the POV-pad register as the N64-analog. Does that make any sense? Kind of hard to describe..

So long story short, that doesn't do anything. All it does is make the POV-pad on the controller register as the analog stick, and that doesn't help very much for sensitivity.

One thing I did notice as I was messing around with the input plugins: if I map the right-stick as the N64's analog, there's no problems with sensitivity or anything, and things work fine. It's a little weird, but doesn't solve the problem (I'd have to stretch my thumb across the controller, which is sort of uncomfortable). Maybe knowing this might help a bit, I dunno.

Allnatural

On my controller, I have the left-stick mapped as the N64 analog stick, and I have the POV-pad mapped as the N64's D-pad. When I hit the analog/digital switch button, it makes the analog stick register as the N64 D-pad, and the POV-pad register as the N64-analog. Does that make any sense?
Perfect sense, but now I'm stumped. Have you calibrated the controller?

Allnatural

Calibrate, what do you mean? How exactly would I go about calibrating it?
The Gaming Options applet in the Windows control panel. If that doesn't solve it...perhaps an incorrect setting in the controller software (assuming you installed it)?

OP
T

the_neiler

The Gaming Options applet in the Windows control panel. If that doesn't solve it...perhaps an incorrect setting in the controller software (assuming you installed it)?

In control panel, the only related option I see is game controllers. And, if I go to the "properties" of this gamepad, the only things that will come up are a test page, a page to change the deadzone on the sticks, and an "about page". Nothing about calibrating.

And, controller software.. The pad came with a disc, don't get me wrong, but I don't think the software on it would really help any. The only stuff on the disc was drivers and a program to set up the controller as a mock mouse/keyboard combo. Sounds kind of interesting, but it was really just sort of hard to use and useless with the games I wanted to play. (I went ahead and installed the drivers, but I didn't throw in that extra software; I used it once before, but ditched it later since it was sort of junk).

Maybe there's some drivers or something I can try to dig around for online?

Pookiez

Hi, I jsut registered to confirm that this is the true answer to this question. I was suffering from the same issue until I read this and decided to "Press the button". Of course I started controlling the character w/ th D-pad, so i just went back into the controller configuration and configured it to the now swapped joystick. After this the joystick had no problems with sensitivity at all. I hope that helps.

In other words, he just had to remap it AFTER he switched it back to analog.

Last edited: