What's new

future of n64 emulation/speculation

how far will n64 emulation make it?

• it's already dead. it's the best it'll ever get.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • it'll get a little better, but no major improvements.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Considerable improvement in compatibility and reduction of graphic bugs, but still retain timing iss

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Somebody'll finally fix my perfect dark to run smooth as silk, at the proper speed, even with 4 play

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xamenus

I think #3 is the most realistic option; the only way to play Perfect Dark perfectly would be to play it on a real N64.

BTW, this belongs in General N64 Emulation Discussion. :)

OP
S

SubCog

i don't have a problem with a mod moving it. I suppose the reason I put it here is that 1964 seems like the last best hope for n64 developement.

zman

Well we know that someday 1964 final will show itself. Little tweaks of the current 1964 and project64 are happening be various people.

Really, for me the interesting point is, how has the Gamecube emulation driven away some of the original authors of the plugins and emulators into the Gamecube era and left us N64 old timers behind...

Anyways, my point is...As long as there is interest in N64, there is interest in N64 emulation perfection. Which is good! :smurf:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I fail to see what the point of this thread is.

...Maybe because its in the wrong forum or not..

Emulation is really good already, Perfect dark requires a powerful computer, it runs fairly smooth on mine, as for multiplayer, i don't really care.. theres UT2004 to contend with ;)

I don't really think its possible to get everything totally right but you can get close.

Last edited:

aprentice

I don't think we will see anymore advancements in n64 emulation, it is a hard console to emulate correctly and it can take years of programming before you even get results, not to mention dynamic recompilers are a pain, so don't expect a "new magical" n64 emulator to pop out of the wood works :p

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
ScottJC said:
I fail to see what the point of this thread is.

...Maybe because its in the wrong forum or not..

Emulation is really good already, Perfect dark requires a powerful computer, it runs fairly smooth on mine, as for multiplayer, i don't really care.. theres UT2004 to contend with ;)

I don't really think its possible to get everything totally right but you can get close.

Goldeneye 007 requires even more, even in single player mode for full speed, easily requires possibly as much as 2.2 ghz (Athlon) 3.4 ghz (Pentium 4).

I had Perfect Dark running nicely, at least good for Project64 at 1.3 ghz (with an Athlon T-bird I used to have).

Trotterwatch

RJARRRPCGP said:
Goldeneye 007 requires even more, even in single player mode for full speed, easily requires possibly as much as 2.2 ghz (Athlon) 3.4 ghz (Pentium 4).

I had Perfect Dark running nicely, at least good for Project64 at 1.3 ghz (with an Athlon T-bird I used to have).
Not sure where you keep pulling that 'fact' out of....Goldeneye runs full speed on this P4 2ghz with 1964.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Trotterwatch said:
Not sure where you keep pulling that 'fact' out of....Goldeneye runs full speed on this P4 2ghz with 1964.

I still noticed some bigger slowdowns at 2.0 ghz with my older Athlon XP, before getting a newer Athlon XP on August 3. Goldeneye 007 was noticably faster, literally the smoothest I have ever saw after I already have gotten the Athlon XP 2400+ (2.0 ghz at stock) processor OC'ed to 2.340 ghz.

Short: Goldeneye 007 wasn't majorly slow overall with my older Athlon XP processor, an Athlon XP 2000+ (1.66 ghz at stock) OC'ed to 2.0 ghz, but still can be some major slowness when walking through smoke. After I purchased an Athlon XP 2400+ processor so I can OC it to at least 2.3 ghz, I noticed less slowness when walking through smoke.

Last edited:

Clements

Goldeneye had massive slowdowns on the Real N64 with explosions/walking through smoke, as did PD.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
SubCog said:
i don't have a problem with a mod moving it. I suppose the reason I put it here is that 1964 seems like the last best hope for n64 developement.
You are forgetting Mupen. It's a great emulator and still in progress.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Sooner or later there will be an emulator able to run almost all N64 games perfectly. Everything will be low level emulated, hacks will be no more and software GFX plugins will make everything look perfect. The problem is that it will take years to run such an emulator at reasonable speed...

4real

i think n64 emulation is at a good stage and i dont have any problems playing most games with my spec.

Goldeneye 007 plays at full speed for me with veryfew slow downs on a 1.3 laptop with intergrated sound but i did have to mess around a bit to get the right plugin's and mixed files from 1964 8.5 and 9.9 to get the results.

We need a few more support on games that don't play and gfx problem fixes but is it a problem playing a game with a minor gfx problem.

Everyone need to look at emulation for what it is Retro play time

-Shadow-

Banned
RJAABC said:
Short: Goldeneye 007 wasn't majorly slow overall with my older Athlon XP processor, an Athlon XP 2000+ (1.66 ghz at stock) OC'ed to 2.0 ghz, but still can be some major slowness when walking through smoke. After I purchased an Athlon XP 2400+ processor so I can OC it to at least 2.3 ghz, I noticed less slowness when walking through smoke.

Are you sure you've set CF to 1 and don't use the performance sucking azimer's sound plug-in ?

It ran normally on my 1800+ without any OC .

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
-Shadow- said:
Are you sure you've set CF to 1 and don't use the performance sucking azimer's sound plug-in ?

It ran normally on my 1800+ without any OC .

Yes. I always was using CF 1 and wasn't using Azimer's audio plugin, because it makes Goldeneye 007 stutter or jerk all the time.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
My Goldeneye worls really great on my 1.8 Pentium 4.... did you ever played it on a real N64? Probably you just think it's quicker, than it's real?!?

OP
S

SubCog

MasterPhW_DX said:
My Goldeneye worls really great on my 1.8 Pentium 4.... did you ever played it on a real N64? Probably you just think it's quicker, than it's real?!?

I don't care if someone has to make a specially hacked n64 emu that only runs perfect dark and goldeneye, if that's what it'll take to get it to run smooth without funny speedups/slowdowns.

I know, the speedups and slowdowns happened even on the n64, and they plagued an otherwise perfect game.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I reckon we're lucky n64 emulation is as far as it is right now, it'll continue as long as there are people willing to develop emulators/plugins.

scotty

The Great One
I chose #2 as my vote. I think that once 1964 V1.0 is done, that is probably going to be as good as its going to be for awhile. With Azimer, Schibo, and Jabo (just to be specific name wise) out of developing Emulation, Rice is probably going to be the best plugin developer, and Hacktarux will continue for a little on Mupen64, but probably wont hit 1964's compatibility for another 2 years (dont take offfence). That is probably going to be it

SigmaXIX

I think it will finally get fully playable.

I mean, even since I first got my first P4 (1.8ghz), graphics cards have like 10x'd in their capacity. Really, Project64 and 1964's cores are mostly complete in my opinion. The only thing that's REALLY REALLY REALLY necessarry is to continually implement the newest DirectX code into the graphics & audio plugins. Eventually, the 4.0 + ghz processors with like 512mb of video ram and 4gb of like 2ghz RAM will be seemless, considering upgrades are made to the graphics plugins. Honestly, I like where Rice is going with his ideas.