What's new

FTP/HTTP server problem

iq_132

Banned
Ok... before I start
1. I do not want to install IIS.
2. I will try just about anything.

My question is that I have been trying for the last few days to set up a ftp and http server. I've tried Apache for windows and TYPsoft ftp server. Both of them work just fine, except for the fact that for some reason, I can only access them from my Dorm... not just my room, but on all of the computers on my floor. When I get outside my dorm on a computer, say in a computer lab, or at my parent's house, it isn't accessable. It doesn't even say there's something there.
I think this might be related to my IP...
it's one thing when I check my connection in XP (The IP i use for the HTTP and ftp ... but when i check other websites that will tell you your IP, it's different...

I'd love some help.. any help at all!!!

Slougi

IP inside and outside the network is most likely different. What is the first part of your ip, ie before the first dot?

Acorn

Ok, 99.99% sure that your college network is going to be running a hardware firewall somewhere before you get to the outside world - I.E, you can't host CS servers, you can't have FTP's outside unless yer real good friends with the admin or want to use some not-so-legal and very slow methods to bypass it.

OP
iq_132

iq_132

Banned
You're probably right. They do allow file sharing, eg. Kazaa, WinMX, but file sharing with the outside world throught msn messenger doesn't work. I'm pretty confused. OH well... DAMN YOU WMU!!!