From GeForce2Go 32MB to ATI M9 64MB

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
They said it couldn't be done...

Paraphrased from Tagrineth on IRC
You can't upgrade laptop video cards.

They said it wasn't obtainable...

Originally posted by nephalim
You have a laptop yet at the same time you are telling me to upgrade my video card? You do know that's nearly impossible, right? They don't sell laptop cards retail, they are nearly impossible to find, and the computer maker won't upgrade them.

They mocked me on the streets...

Originally posted by jack
obviously [you] haven't advance beyond highschool Algebra

But needless to say...they were wrong... :happy:

The card: ATI Mobility 9 64MB

This card is the same as an ATI Radeon 9000 (pro?) in terms of speed and features, in fact, the core is the exact same one as the desktop version. There are only two key differences with this card, the first being that the chips which performed the best with lower voltage and produced the least heat off of the assembly lines were selected to be used with this card. The second is the form factor, which as you can see below, is nothing like the desktop version:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
AlphaWolf said:
They said it couldn't be done...

They said it wasn't obtainable...

They mocked me on the streets...

But needless to say...they were wrong... :happy:

The card: ATI Mobility 9 64MB

This card is the same as an ATI Radeon 9000 (pro?) in terms of speed and features, in fact, the core is the exact same one as the desktop version. There are only two key differences with this card, the first being that the chips which performed the best with lower voltage and produced the least heat off of the assembly lines were selected to be used with this card. The second is the form factor, which as you can see below, is nothing like the desktop version:

OK Alphawolf, tell me what model laptop you have (I remember you saying 8000, which I really hope is the case,) what mobo you have (815e on my 8000,) and how to get Dell to sell me one of those (as well as it's cost,) and I admit defeat :D

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Keyboard and display cover (not sure why they call it that, but whatever) off....

Old Geforce2Go just to the right of the DVD drive, CPU is the metal square to the right of it.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
AlphaWolf said:
Keyboard and display cover (not sure why they call it that, but whatever) off....

Old Geforce2Go just to the right of the DVD drive, CPU is the metal square to the right of it.
That's strange, I distinctly remember the video card instructions having you dismantling the lcd.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Screen turned on when I booted it up with the new card, which means all went well. Despite what dell said, the card is fully compatible with my system.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Here are the benchmarks for the ATI M9. They are a bit behind modern desktop marks, but they aren't too shabby considering:

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The overall image quality, even in 2D, has improved on both my CRT and my LCD with this card; its a huge improvement in just about everything. Those 3dmark scores may be a bit low since I don't know how to properly tweak modern ATI drivers yet, but I can learn that overtime. This card also gets better battery life than that older slower gf2go.

And nephalm, there is no need to touch the actual display itself, you only need to disconnect the cable that connects to the card.

BTW, here is the current spec of my laptop:

Dell Inspiron 8000
Pentium III 1.0 Ghz
15" UXGA IBM LCD
ATI M9 64MB
256MB Ram
ESS Maestro 3i Sound Card
8x DVD-ROM
20GB HDD
BIOS Revision A22

Last edited:

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
My laptop is also the same way as AlphaWolfs, can be upgraded.

Dell Inspiron 2600, needs a new Video card because I am sick of intel chipshits.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Alphawolf, kindly tell me what mobo you have (i'm assuming 815e, not that important,) and where to get one. :flowers:

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
My board does use the 815e chipset, however, there are different revisions of inspiron 8000 motherboards that are based on this chipset. Mine is the last i8k revision, all I know about it beyond that is its part number is 1C062. There are revisions before this one that are compatible with GF4 and M9, but, I have no idea which ones, so just be careful if your motherboard part number is not the same as mine. Also, be careful about what screen you have, because the screen is an even bigger issue with upgrading the video card on dell laptops. There are probably more incompatible screen models than there are incompatible motherboard models. You can buy this card at the phone number I mentioned earlier.

The part number for the ATI card I got was 4U284. I can't remember the part number for the GF2go 32MB, I think I mentioned it in the same thread that I mentioned the phone number though. The GF2go should definitely be compatible with your motherboard/lcd combo if its an i8k.

You need to be a bit agressive in trying to get ahold of these parts. The reason why is because the people that work in the spare parts department have the collective intelligence of a rock. My order was canceled 3 times before they finaly shipped it. The good thing though is that they gave me free overnight shipping because of that. They might tell you that its got a huge back order of 3 months or that its out of stock, because their inventory system is all out of whack. Just say "I don't care what it takes, place the order anyway god damnit!". They said the turnaround time for mine would have been 90 days, but it only took 8.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
AlphaWolf said:
My board does use the 815e chipset, however, there are different revisions of inspiron 8000 motherboards that are based on this chipset. Mine is the last i8k revision, all I know about it beyond that is its part number is 1C062. There are revisions before this one that are compatible with GF4 and M9, but, I have no idea which ones, so just be careful if your motherboard part number is not the same as mine. Also, be careful about what screen you have, because the screen is an even bigger issue with upgrading the video card on dell laptops. There are probably more incompatible screen models than there are incompatible motherboard models. You can buy this card at the phone number I mentioned earlier.

The part number for the ATI card I got was 4U284. I can't remember the part number for the GF2go 32MB, I think I mentioned it in the same thread that I mentioned the phone number though. The GF2go should definitely be compatible with your motherboard/lcd combo if its an i8k.

You need to be a bit agressive in trying to get ahold of these parts. The reason why is because the people that work in the spare parts department have the collective intelligence of a rock. My order was canceled 3 times before they finaly shipped it. The good thing though is that they gave me free overnight shipping because of that. They might tell you that its got a huge back order of 3 months or that its out of stock, because their inventory system is all out of whack. Just say "I don't care what it takes, place the order anyway god damnit!". They said the turnaround time for mine would have been 90 days, but it only took 8.

I don't see how such minor changes to the 815e would make the M9 not work. (What does your bios say FMI?) I know I don't have the latest revision, it was right before they got speedstep working without a reboot/standby to "reinit" the system. You don't have the latest i8k revision either! The latest i8k revision was the 815em or 815eg or something I forgot exactly, they added that when they fixed the speedstep (to allow actual "stepping:p) Here is my original system configuration -
1 2C759 Processor, PIII-CUM, 900, 256K, PGA2, C0
1 0D145 SUBASSY, Liquid Crystal Display, 15, HITACHI, V.2, Lonsdale/Lavaca
1 1C062 Assembly, PWA, Main, PHOTON, Lonsdale/Lavaca

All of this has been replaced, however, so it doesn't mean jack, unfortunately. I can't seem to find out where to see what LCD I currently have, although I have seen it on Dell's Support Site somewhere before, I remember.

I might be considering the Geforce 2go just because it's possibly more compatible (but the jury is still out on that one, that's much more important to me, and I can save money in the process and be assured of compatibility.)

I'm not happy with everything i've seen/heard from ATI. They DO have the best laptop-specific stuff, however, such as scaling (which is important!), which i'm sure the Geforce 2go can't even touch, so that is yet another consideration.

EDIT: Can you please tell me what the 2go most closely resembles (and what chipset) it uses (desktop,) and the overall ranking of that card/chipset?

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Hmm..hitachi screen, I have heard those don't work with anything above a gf2go, not certain though, go read the dell forums, theres more info there.

But, if you want to pull a shenanagin, heres what you could try. (note that could doesn't necessarily mean it will work) You could place an order for the 4u284, and once it arrives, find out if it works. If not, call dell and tell them that they screwed up and sent you the wrong part, then they will refund you the entire price, shipping and all, and allow you to make the order for the correct gf2go instead, possibly with the shipping removed on that as well.

Why do I think it might work? Well, one of those 3 times that they screwed up my order, the idiot on the other end of the line place me an order for a gf2go. I didn't find this out until I checked the order status on dells website the next day, and I called and canceled it. Unexpectedly though, it showed up at my door a few days later. I called dell, and told them I didn't want this damn card and to take it back, they then came and picked it up the next day, and didn't charge me a dime for anything related to that specific order. The 4u284 arrived only a few days later.

EDIT: I was just looking around on the dell forums, I noticed that nobody has said anything about whether or not the M9 works with the hitachi brand screen, and the M9 is said to be more hardware compatible with I8k's than the GF4go. The GF4go is confirmed to not work with that screen though.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I said right underneath that list, that ALL of that has been replaced! That was my original screen, not my current screen, so it means nothing unless they replaced it with the same screen. How can I find out what screen I have (and why in gods name would it matter, I don't get it.) I think it might be an IBM.

If you didn't compare the 2go to the M9 in the other thread i'd like to hear a comparison. I asked some specific questions, both here and there.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, generaly when they RMA a part (e.g. come to your house and replace it, or you send it to them and they replace it), they replace it with the exact same brand and model that you started with. If you think they did change it to a different brand for some reason, then you can take apart the display (takes a bit of work), and read the sticker on the back of it that says what brand and model it is.

As for comparing the GF2go to the M9, I would say that the M9 is in general far superior. In response to that thread a long time ago about the LCD resolution, the M9 delivers exactly what they were saying it delivered on the dell forums, the scaling engine is tip top and I am now comfortable using any odd resolution on my LCD, which previously looked bad on the gf2go. My only complaint about the M9 is that since its an ATI card, the drivers realy do suck.