What's new

Freeware C++ Compiler

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I wonder if you truly can appoint a "best" compiler. You should simply stick with the one you like best.

OP
X

xamenus

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Now I just have to figure out how to use it! I'm a complete beginner to this, and I would like to start off by compiling the sources of an NES emulator, such as nester.

LXS

If you're really new at programming don't learn by reading other (good) people code.
Start by learning the "how to make an executable" process, compilation and linking, then control structure and so on...
Moreover, I might be wrong but is Nester written in C++?

OP
X

xamenus

Yeah, it's C++.

PS - I just uninstalled Devcpp because I didn't have the full release. I'm going to download the full release (12 MB on 48 k connection!) then try again.

OP
X

xamenus

Dumb newbie question- how do I get the C header files (such as stdin.h, etc.) Are they not included with Devcpp?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
standard header are included with dev-c++ as well as all windows api headers if you download the dev-c++ version that include mingw32 (the one that is around 12Mb).

Maybe if you don't find stdin.h it's because it doesn't exist, i think what you're looking for is stdio.h

And nighty0: gcc is the compiler used by dev-c++ so you're talking about the same thing ;)

OP
X

xamenus

Hacktarux said:
standard header are included with dev-c++ as well as all windows api headers if you download the dev-c++ version that include mingw32 (the one that is around 12Mb).

Maybe if you don't find stdin.h it's because it doesn't exist, i think what you're looking for is stdio.h

And nighty0: gcc is the compiler used by dev-c++ so you're talking about the same thing ;)

Thank you very much Hacktarux, I've written my first C program- Hello World! :p But what I'd like to do is compile something that has source files spread over various directories, such as a win32 application. Guess I'll have to read up more...

JinXD

Anyone got any good sites to check out, specifically for writing emulators in C++. I'm meaning Chip8 and similar, not next gen emulators. Also what compiler did you folks use if any of you have written a chip8 emu? Thanks in advance :D

Last edited: