What's new

Framerate report / Frame skipping of Chankast

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
I'm not sure if it has been posted elsewhere or if everyone knows about it, but it seems that the framerate report of Chankast is a bit lower than the actual framerate. Judging from how well the graphics are synchronised with the music, it seems that you have "optimal" framerate when it says 50-51 out of 60 or 25-26 out of 30. Maybe it's a small bug in frame counting or maybe I'm playing PAL games and the emulator doesn't correct the "optimal" framerate.

Also, although when in very big slowdowns, it says somehing like 7/10 (for instance) meaning that it only draws 1 frame out of 6 (6 = 60/10 for those who are new to this matter, like me). However, the emulator doesn't seem to actually skip any frame. Is it true, or do I need to configure anything?

Clements

Chankast seems to lower the frame rate to speed up the gameplay. If your computer can only render 29fps, Chankast halves the frame rate to 30 dynamically so the speed does not slow down too much. If you computer renders 60fps or more, Chankast does not change the frame rate at all. You could call this a kind of frame skip.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I think that this is not related to the speed of the PC. Depending on the CPU speed of the emulator the framerate varies. The framerate on a real Dreamcast changes dynamically on many games but some others run on 30 fps or even 20 fps by default (I personaly get 6x/30 or even 7x/30 on these cases).
I observed that in some cases Chankast changes the framerate in occasions that it shouldn't (this can be fixed if you overclock Chankast).

Herecles

Chankast doesnt skip frames. Its all about the speed, e.g 10/30 means its running at a third of the proper speed