What's new

framebuffer effects problem in a certain game

applejack

framebuffer effects seem to work fine in project64 with certain games -- the motion blur in majora's mask for example -- but not in one in particular. the effects in this game work fine with 1964, but the game has other problems in that case, none which are present with project64. so i'm wondering if it's somehow possible to manually adjust framebuffer settings in this emulator. i've found nothing so far to do that, at least where i've looked and can understand, including all the advanced settings i can find. my rig should be good enough to handle most any frame capture emulation, so if there's any roundabout way to do it, i'd like to try it. thanks for any help.

OP
A

applejack

it's a japanese evangelion game. some kind of fighting game. i'm enjoying the cutscenes, and that's where the problem is.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
:) this i can help with

in the jabo Dx8 config screen
click the rom settings tab (with the hide advanced settings box unticked)
change D3D clear mode from default to only per frame and hit apply/ok

the cutscenes and opening title/cutscene will now be drawn properly. (make sure not to select always otherwise it will cause artifacts during certain cutscenes)

unfortunately.. this won't fix the horizontal lines that cut up the image but it makes the scenes better none the less

Last edited:
OP
A

applejack

i actually did try that and it works like you said, but it lacks the slight motion blur, which is correct with 1964. but are the horizontal lines a general problem with the game or emulation thereof? that's the same thing that happens with 1964, except maybe to a greater effect.

edit: it's a possibility that project64 doesn't emulate proper alpha blending with this game, as well. i don't really know.

Last edited:
OP
A

applejack

the last half hour i've been experimenting with a few different video plugins. all except jabo's accurately mimic framebuffer effects for this game, but they all have their share of different artifact problems. yet the problems all seem to point to one commonality: texture seaming. depending on the plugin, texture seams are either highlighted with some kind of thick line overlay, or the textures are substracted at the seams by that same thick line. it's a weird thing, and it happens alternatively between parts of the game with each plugin.

i've tried messing with as many settings as i could think of between them, including switching to an opengl renderer where available, but nothing worked. i didn't try everything, but i'm out of ideas. maybe it's moreso a problem with emulating this particular game perfectly.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
its most likely due to HLE, and the way the texture is resampled.

the N64 also displays textures differently to a normal pc as well i beleive...