What's new

Frame Skip

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
First of all: Great work! 1964 is much faster than PJ64 :colgate:

But 1964 has a weak spot: the Counter Factor.

In my opinion a dynamic frame skip would be much better. It is not very practical to say: "Game 'X' needs CF=2", because you can't compare a 750MHz system with a 1.8 GHz system. And sometimes game needs are really different according to the complexity of the environment.

With a dynamic Frame Skip the Frame rate would be exactly at 50 or 60 and 1964 would be much easier to use.

schibo

Emulator Developer
hi F-3582,

A few of icepir8's earlier graphics plugins used frameskip which was interesting. Frameskip is a nice idea for a plugin, but CF, "Counter Factor", (or cycle factor, depending on whom you ask I guess) is a multiplier for the cycle count and is for CPU core timing. You might notice it affects the behavior of game threads and the way timed events (cyclic tasks) occur, and as such, changing this value during gameplay can have odd effects.

Every N64 emu author can tell you that the trouble is that it is hard to get accurate timing of the N64. With version 0.8, I believe we made a really good effort, but while the timing of some games can be really close, others will be way off the mark.

I agree with you about the CF, but it becomes a necessary evil I guess :) I think that anyone with a PIII 600 or better should do well with Duncan's ini. People with less powerful processors may need to do a little CF tweaking.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Problem with the CF tweaking, though, as I've seen is that graphics slow down. As does the audio. But it will give higher frame-rates.