What's new

Forcing Chankast to use Texture Filters and etc...

the_baddoggie

Hey,

You may have heard about an application called 'DirectX Tweaker'. The DirectX Tweaker is a tool that acts like an interface between DirectX and/or Direct 3D and the program that originally uses the Direct 3D interfaces. Suddenly I came up with the idea that using DirectX Tweaker for forcing chankast to filter sprites and settings like that could be useful to make games better. That doesn't mean dreamcast has bad graphics :) They are wonderfull.

What I try to say is I aint got much time to test the settings but it works. (just tried wireframe option and see that it works) So why not go download the freeware DirectX Tweaker and try it? Hope to see results.

DirectX Tweaker home page: http://nonatainment.de/

chachanka

Hmm well at least for NV cards forcing AA and AF in the control panel works in Chankast. I've tried using transparency AA but it doesn't seem to work (like on CvS2), prolly just the way DC handles sprites.

OP
T

the_baddoggie

there are some other things like CAPS changer. Maybe forcing those settings may work. I will try it later. Thanks for the reply.

OP
T

the_baddoggie

Yehaww :) Got it. Stripes are filtered but with rectangles :( Chacanka you need to change settings under AF to
Filter: Trilinear
Max Af: 8 or 16

BUT... If you can enable Supersampling AA like me (on radeon 9600xt) you wont see those silly rectangles :) here is the image.

Necessary Settings Under Supersampling AA:
Downfilter: Texture Filter
Pixel Offset X: -1
Y: -1

View attachment 30041

Last edited:

Shinobi909

You lucky sod Baddoggie. I have an nvidia 6600GT and AA just gives me the same blocky sprites but with the squares.

chachanka

Well that's to be expected that SSAA works because it takes the entire image rendered at a higher resolution and scales it down (just like when you're resizing a photo or something). Shinobi, the squares are the result of MSAA. Unfortunately though, NV doesn't have the option to use old-school SSAA in their drivers (barring the 8xS, which is a mix of MSAA and SSAA and doesn't work either) so we're out of luck.

Clements

Actually, NVIDIA cards offer more Supersampling modes than ATi right now, you just to unlock them with Rivatuner or other tweak program.

Shinobi909

If anyone can find a way to get sprites in Capcom's fighting games to look like the ones in baddoggies picture, that would be very cool. Right now they look like commodore 64 sprites ;)