What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

First Ever F-Zero X SD Mod

Brod

Hello,

Recently I discovered that it's possible to retexture F-Zero X Gedecompressor combine with tile molester.

Unlike the HD retexturing with those tools I change the textures direclty into the rom. It means that the rextexured rom will work both on the n64 console and on emulators.

Of course the textures quality limits are the same that the ones with the original rom, so it can't look as good as the HD.

After doing some tests, dumping textures from the game and figuring out how that works and the limits of the tools or the rom itself during three weeks I was able to release 3 quick textures mods before taking a summer break.

You have to understand that you can't do anything when injecting new textures, in the game compressed and uncompressed textures, no real prolem when they are uncompressed but compressed ... you have to deal with the MIO0 compressor and some strange properties wih the game that make some textures works some other not, it's not just about of the weight of the textures you want to inject. Instead of having 9 different textures on a venue like Mute City ( 11 with the billboard and overhead monitor ) compressed in one bin file, at the time, I managed to have only 2 or 3 ( plus 2 for the billboard and monitor ), sometimes less, I sill have to figure out the best way to use those compressed tracks files, it won't be easy. You can see on Sector Beta ( Nintexturing Edition ) that there are some glitches with the overhead monitors and the spinning billboards, file was just too big and I wasn't able to fix that quickly using two different textures on the track.

F-Zero X Nintexturing Edition is a very early version of a full pack I d'like to create later this year, this one is pretty ugly sometimes but it's here to show that it's possile to do that, it works both on the console and on emu, no CRC change needed, you just have to patch your original F-Zero X rom with lunar IPS. You can also use those mods with custom tracks, x cup and death mode, all the 11 venues's tracks textures are changed so you won't find any original one anywhere in the game.

I changed the 11 venues files, the two pictures from the beginning of the game, the 3-2-1-GO, the avatars ( during races ), skyscrapers, grounds ... there are still many textures to change ( huds, pics, endings ) but it seems that it's no working with all of them, I couldn't change the energy refiller among other things, the bin files that contains the common tracks parts ( pipes, cylinders, tunnels ... ) is also very difficult to deal with and I had to do some sacrifices, this explains the yellow textures you'll see many times on this mod.

On this video, every championship and tracks played on master mode. First time I did that, I felt it was risky plus I have very short time to do that before taking my summer break on saturday but that was fun. This nearly 4 GO video took me like 12 hours of upload and I had to correct the delay on each 24 tracks of that pack but it still sucks, I hope the result will be ok for you : )

The video : youtube.com/watch?v=EcbKF0W3jl0

The link with the patch, including two other packs with ingame textures : sendspace.com/file/gxddsj

In the same time I worked a SD version of a WIP F-Zero X HD pack made by ChefViking. On this pack high quality worked textures, not just some resized textures that can be found over the web like I did for my first pack. As you can see on he video the result is awesome, the final version of that pack will be a nice alternative to the original game textures. On this beta I used most of the textures ChefVikings gave me but sometimes I didn't know where to add some of them on some of the venue since the HD pack wasn't working on my cpu so I used a few snapshots Chef posted and add the rest of the textures the way I felt at the time.

The video : youtube.com/watch?v=nCh838rSFAA

I think he'll let me downconvert his future final pack to make it available for both emulators and console users, so be patient : )

After doing a lot of tests during the last month I managed to get more textures in the compressed bin files, I tried to fix that color problem I have. It seems that the game creates some colors here and there between two different colors in a texture, it's very annoying because it's very difficult to predict what will happen in the game with the texture you worked on, sometimes it's very ugly. After many tests, by playing with the color levels I managed to avoid those parasite colors, Also I tried with 16 colors only sometime it helps. I managed to change some HUDs this time, I changed the dash plates and refiller textures. Those two are in a compressed file that contains all the common textures for the tracks, again it's really difficult to deal with that particular file but I progress.

The video : youtube.com/watch?v=XhEPIcDhF3A

This week I worked on a new down converttion of Chef's HD pack, sometimes I managed to make his HD textures works with my CPU ( partially ) to this time it's more accurate, also I was able to change few more things I didn't manage to change before. Video later this weekend.

No double post so ... Edit : After working on a beta 2 down conversion of Chef HD pack I managed to make his textures works ( partially ) on HD with another plugin so I built a V3 that is a lot more accurate than the first version I made.

Since my first betas I discovered many things, I found out how to include more textures on the compressed venue files, I managed to include many new textures in the common textures file that contains pipes, cylinder, refiller, dash ... but there are still textures I can't seem to mod the more I change the more it's difficult to make them work, at least this time I was able to add 4 different tunnels, 4 pipes, new colors for the dash/refiller/ice/dirt among other things.

Just like the Beta 1 version I fill in the blank creating textures to replace the originals Chef didn't change. Most of them are from his textures, the Rainbow Road venue is based on Cario's HD pack, I used the level editor to change some parts on the track to avoid the presence of some Big Blue textures that sucks in a Rainbow Road environement.

I changed some HUDs but modding them is very difficult and it's limited.

I worked on the boost, it's very difficult too, the colors display on tile moletser aren't the ones you see in the game.

I did many test to try to mod more compressed files, the ending pictures, pilotes, 1998 copyright, push start ... without managing to mod them ( the game freeze ).

However the uncompressed textures are simpler to mod, I did some tests with the explosions and backgrounds ( same colors problem I have with the boost ), on the machines, title ... it works fine.

Still a lot of work to do, now I'm waiting for ChefViking to release his final pack to see how close I can be on the rom.

I still have problems with parasites colors generated by the game, I had problems with the skies however I was able to mod 3/8 of them without glitch.

The video : youtube.com/watch?v=VGoAAMGOzQ4

Last edited:
OP
B

Brod

Despite the lack of support here I wanted to show some progress on my F-Zero X texture mod.

I just made a new beta for someone to try to use a patched Japanese F-Zero X rom with custom tracks and textures to boot the 64dd + expansion kit.

He made a video with six of his custom tracks :

youtube.com/watch?v=cgMp62n2aBQ&feature=g-u-u

The common textures ( pipes, cylinders, tunnels ... hold in one compressed file ) are from ChefViking pack, that file is almost complete ( miss one texture ) but it takes a great deal of time to do it ( see the first post ) for that reason I didn't update the compressed file I used for the first beta.

I managed to use more different textures on each venue's file, 7 or 8/11 instead of 3 or 4/11 sometimes less on my first beta. On the chef mod most of the venues are complete with 11 different new textures for each of the 10 venues.

About the lack of support I have to say that I was surprised, I waited at least for a few replies, especially here. It's not like so many n64 textures mods do exist, even on HD, when was the last time someone changed so many textures inside a n64 game ( not with rice or glide ), beside a few Mario hacks, some Golden eye limited mods plus the very good Golden Eye X I can't find anything made on the others n64 games with new textures so it's pretty much NEW and I forgot to say that that the few F-Zero X HD project are far from be complete not to mention that the most complete F-Zero X HD project ( Cario's ) isn't available here.

The best F-Zero X HD mod is still to come, Chef Viking still working on it, he made a really god job so far and many textures are complete, I hope he'll get credit for his project when done, he deserve it.

My textures mod work on both the console and emulators ( unlike the mario hacks ), you just need to apply a patch on the rom to make the mod works and it was available as soon as I create that topic. Some guys created topics here just to speak of the project they have in their mind and got more replies than me without even sharing one pic, it's sad but after spending so many hours on my project you can understand that I'm disappointed.

So what's the problem ? My bad english ? my terrible and very long text ? The fact that the mod is on F-Zero X and nobody care about this game here, like it seems that only the Zeldas, Mario 64 and Golden eye are important in your eyes but there's so much more on the N64 ( yeah you all know that ). Was that a problem with the title "SD Mod" like Secure Digital mod, what does that mean ??? SD is Standart Definition I though it was ok to use that since everybody talks about "HD" High Definition textures, so changing the textures inside the game should be named SD textures mod or may be you prefer LR mod ( Low Resolution ) or SR mod ( Standart Resolution ) but I'll keep SD mod anyway, it's not very important, anyway. May be the problem was that I didn't upload my beta mod file to emutalk and use that link instead ( the same link I used on the others sites ) or may be the youtube links I wasn't allowed to use... May be the problem is those ugly textures I used even if I said that was just quick made textures to show that it's possible to edit textures with F-Zero X, the second beta is not much better but the final version will be. May be the problem is a bit of all of that.

Well, in fact I think the the biggest problem remaining imo is that almost NOBODY cares about that mod so whatever it's something "new" or unusual that project will remain unheard of, like so many other n64 poject I guess. Well I guess some people use the link to download the pack anyway, some of those people could at least say something about it.

Let's see if I have replies this time ...

volphor

hi dude, your project looks good for what i see in youtube,, but i tried de beta and i think it didnt work very good, specially the reflections for the ships. anyway keep it up! PD: this forum seems to be very inactive lately