What's new

Finding a Voodoo5 5500 AGP...

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Any ideas on stockists?

I've tried eBay but they were mainly selling PCI versions. Price limit has to be $100-ish.

Obviously a 6000 would be glorious, but... unlikely.

Setting up an emulation machine, centred on that card (with Glide64 0.7) and a 2GHz processor...

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Ah I was searching 'voodoo5 5500'. Try searching that and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway yeah, they seem to be in abundance (when searched for properly... :doh: ).

The question, fivefeet, is why have a card on a slower interface (PCI), when you can have it on AGP?!

Trotterwatch

I don't think PCI / AGP interface matters much when talking about Voodoo cards. A PCI is preferable for many anyways due to the 'insignficant?' performance differential, and the ability to use it as a secondary card.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
I had thought of using it in a PCI configuration as a secondary card, but I was curious as to what conflicts this might cause. That's why I thought a whole new system ma be an easier option.

Clements

Well fivefeet8 has a 5900 Ultra and V5 in the same computer and he can use his Voodoo for emulation and his 5900 Ultra for PC gaming and not switch computers.

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
Also if I'm correct doesn't the V5 AGP run on too high of a voltage for newer motherboards. I heard that somewhere.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Not sure about that, but placing GFX cards in PCI slots automatically renders any AGP cards as 'secondary'.

Wondering how that could be worked around... presumably with some BIOS mucking around.

Knuckles

The Voodoo5 AGP is 3.3V (AGP 1X/2X) only!!! you can put it only on mobos that don't have AGP 8X or only 1.5V (all GOOD recent mobos). Mobos like lower P4 (i.e. ECS) or an P3/P2 mobo has an AGP 3.3V slot.

AGP 1x/2x 3.3V cards are like this (all voodoo AGP cards are xcept some rare prototypes):

non1.5v

and AGP 4X/8X 1.5V are like this:

1.5v

now, the slots,

AGP slots COMPATIBLE with 3.3V cards
Available on P2/P3/Athlon/some low P4s motherboards:

agp.jpg

OR
agp.jpg

and AGP 3.3V NOT COMPATIBLE slots:
Available on almost all recent mobos for AMD Athlon XP/64 (single & dual), recent Intel P4,Xeon,ect (single & dual):

AGP Pro:
agp.jpg

or
APG3.0 (8X/4X):
agp.jpg

Actually, the AGP Voodoo cards aren't different from PCI ones, it will work at the same speed, so getting a PCI is the same thing, the AGP doesn't do anything else on Voodoos.

Also, as sheik said, there is an option in (I think) ALL bioses on mobos with AGP slots an option to set which of the PCI or AGP card will boot up first.

And since your mobo uses the AGP Pro/8x combo (nforce2) slot, it won't work, so don't get any AGP Voodoos.

Last edited:

Flash

Technomage
Knuckles said:
The Voodoo5 AGP is 3.3V (AGP 1X/2X) only!!! you can put it only on mobos that don't have AGP 8X or only 1.5V (all GOOD recent mobos). Mobos like lower P4 (i.e. ECS) or an P3/P2 mobo has an AGP 3.3V slot.
There's also a few server mobos with universal 3.3/1.5v slots

AGP 1x/2x 3.3V cards are like this (all voodoo AGP cards are xcept some rare prototypes):
All (i have AGP4x V5 5500 :p) but Voodoo4 -4x/3.3v Powercolor cards is not so rare, and i have strange 3.3v compatible OEM Voodoo4 4500 card

Picture%2019.jpg

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
The performance difference between the AGP/PCI versions of the V5's are 1% to 3% at most. The voodoo 5 also doesn't use any of the features that AGP allows(sideband addressing, fast writes). It essentailly acts like a PCI card. It also only runs at 2x AGP. I use to actually own the AGP version and afterwards traded it for the PCI version to a friend. I didn't notice any performance difference at all. And like others have said, the V5 AGP versions seems to have problems with certain motherboards.

Like Clements said, you CAN use the V5 PCI as a secondary card. There should be a bios option of the motherboard to select which is the primarty boot up video card. I don't have much experience with ATi/3dfx combinations, but my setup of a Nvidia/3dfx card is perfectly fine. I think ATi cards don't have the right multi display options like Nvidia does. Which makes them finicky when dealing with secondary PCI cards. If someone with an ATi/3dfx setup could shed some light on this question, it'd be great.

As for my setup, I can select which card is the primary and secondary from within the display options. Very nifty and plus I've got like 3 displays(18" LCD, 21" CRT, 36" TV). ;) And yes, I can play glide games on one display while surfing the web on the other. :D

Last edited:

ggab

Emutalk Member
>>And yes, I can play glide games on one display while surfing the web on the other.C

Cool !!! fivefeet8, this is my dream... too! :)

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Man that is pretty special...

So if I have the 5500 as a PCI card, run a display cable from it to the secondary input on my monitor, will I just be able to alternate displays by switching vid 1/2 on my monitor?

And how would I go about configuring it so that I could essentially have an emulator running through the voodoo with surfing etc running through the 5900 ulta? Would I need a sort of dual desktop config?

If you could help with this I'd be majorly appreciative, fivefeet, or anyone else for that matter. Thanks...

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Xade said:
Man that is pretty special...

So if I have the 5500 as a PCI card, run a display cable from it to the secondary input on my monitor, will I just be able to alternate displays by switching vid 1/2 on my monitor?

And how would I go about configuring it so that I could essentially have an emulator running through the voodoo with surfing etc running through the 5900 ulta? Would I need a sort of dual desktop config?

Nvidia's Nview/desktop options allows me to set a horizontal panning desktop. Or make them 2 different desktops(different wallpapers, resolutions). And I can specify which applications run on which desktop. Very cool indeed.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
hey knux, then why does my GeForce FX 5700 run fine in this here KM133 mobo with a AGP 2X Revision 3.0 Slot?