What's new

Feature: On loading a ROM go to full screen

Should this feature be turned on when first installed?

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
AI, it already can

this topic is asking that that option me disabled by default.

which i kinda agree :p, it should be disabled by default.

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
I keep mine windowed when I start so I can load any cheats I want to use or load a certain save state. It seems to me that it's perfect now; having the option is good enough, you don't need to force it down people's throats by making it a default.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I wish we could change the terminology from "full screen" to "full monitor", just for fun really. ;)

Seems fine to me how it is already.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I wish we could change the terminology from "full screen" to "full monitor", just for fun really. ;)

Seems fine to me how it is already.
Not everyone uses monitor(s) to output the image. "Full screen" is a pretty much a standardized term and covers all bases, so to speak.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Not everyone uses monitor(s) to output the image. "Full screen" is a pretty much a standardized term and covers all bases, so to speak.

I had actually meant it as a joke. I should have put a :lol: instead of the ;) I guess

If I can go a bit OT for a moment, What other forms of visual output do people have on PC's?

I mean LCD or CRT (VGA or TV style) are considered "monitors". Specifically speaking "full screen", at least in my view, would then relate to your resolution size. Consider for a moment you could be running PJ64 in a virtual environment. You may have your real display set to 1600x1200 while the VM is only at 1024x768. In this case "full screen" would mean PJ64 would only expand fully to the VM's resolution and not your real display. While "full monitor" could mean it takes up all your display in full. hehe

Tre

Oops. Died again.
As long as the option remains to go fullscreen on rom load, then the best default for it ~is~ off.

I have to ask if I heard correctly, but did someone say that there are going to be ~different~ plugin settings for different games available? Like if I wanted to have legacy pipeline on for one game, but off for another, I wouldn't have to change between games? It would be "off" by "default" based on the ini settings for that game?

jaw970

no default full screen please

Please turn this off as default. Set windowed as default with option to go full screen if desired.

Iconoclast

Damn, I must say, I underestimated the number of people who would vote Yes to this. It's almost as if someone's editing the poll.:whistling

But no, I mean, how can it be so much of a preference, even if it is worth all of the problems full screen mode could cause to some systems, to have it set to DEFAULT when it can always be turned on by choice? Why does it really seem that necessary? There are too many advantages of having it set to window mode at default compared to just the single advantage of full screen. Just because you have a system that can stand it doesn't mean everyone does.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Damn, I must say, I underestimated the number of people who would vote Yes to this. It's almost as if someone's editing the poll.:whistling

But no, I mean, how can it be so much of a preference, even if it is worth all of the problems full screen mode could cause to some systems, to have it set to DEFAULT when it can always be turned on by choice? Why does it really seem that necessary? There are too many advantages of having it set to window mode at default compared to just the single advantage of full screen. Just because you have a system that can stand it doesn't mean everyone does.

1.6 does this, so it is not a new feature we are pushing :)

seems like I should have asked this ages ago then it could have been turned off then. From build 1.7.0.46 it will no longer be on by default :p

ShadowFX

Guardian
I think a better poll would be, start the emulator in full-screen and let there be menu available then (ala NEStopia or SNES9x). Escape or right-click would toggle this menu.

Scipio1

I said full screen because i have a problem with windows

It will say

"While processing graphics data an exception occured you may need to restart the emulator"

RANDOMLY EVERY SINGLE FRIGGEN TIME.

If Anyone knows how to fix that email me at [email protected]

I've already tried uninstalling and re installing

chiklit

I never seem to be able to get out of full screen mode. It goes in it fine but then when I hit Alt + Enter or Esc it goes out of full screen in the background but the desktop never comes back so I have to use the task manager to get back to the desktop and force it to close.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Chiklit, i used to suffer the same issue, to work around it, you have to press F12 to end emulation, then ALT+F4 to close the emulator.

i've since fixed it... somehow... i dunno how but it never happened anymore after installing Java SE 6

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i think maybe if there was a fullscreen UI, otherwise no; its more likely to confuse newbies and annoy experienced users.

two points:
currently 1.7 uses your desktop settings as the default fullscreen setting. this is the only reason this was even considered, as switching monitor res by default to something user has not chosen is a no-no, they may end up having to hard reset.
currently the ui is available in fullscreen, sort of (when you pause), by accident. this will probably go soon, though i'd like to consider it as a feature..

camber

One of the settings we have is that when you start a rom then it will go to full screen. This is on by default and one of the first settings I do turn off, this is more because I am testing and find it annoying. What do other people think, should we have this on as the default or have it so you have to manually make it go to fullscreen?

Manually is the best way u can do. please turn off these settings.

many emu players startet in windowed. maybe make the way to fullscreen simpler, so shortcut "F" or something . ^^ Keep on the good work.

Iconoclast

Oh, you can make a UI in fullscreen mode? That's different, then. That only leaves the problem where users don't know how to exit full screen mode....

Besides, it's not like the PC is the actual N64 console: It's only purpose is not playing video games. For the N64 it is, therefore, there isn't a good reason why not to have games running in fullscreen mode on your TV, but for the PC, it's only classic to just keep emulation in window mode at default. The interface is already there, and if there was a UI in fullscreen mode for Project64, not many inexperienced users would figure that out, unless it appeared in front of them without emulation being paused.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
If you can have the UI in fullscreen without even having a game loaded, that would be rather nice. And having the UI available during game pause seems pretty sweet as a feature to me. Though it might make PJ64 seem a lot more like Zsnes than intended.