What's new

FAT32 Partitions on Linux

Mandrake 8.0,8.1 & 8.2 and SuSe 8.0 used to recognize aautomatically my c: & d: FAT32 partitions, so I could easily use files into my win32 partitions when i was using linux, now that I installed redhat 9.0, they're gone, is there any way to activate those FAT32 partitions, to ve "visible" from my linux installation?

blight

first you need to add an entry for them to /etc/fstab - the filesystem type is "vfat"
you can use mount-options to set file permissions and owner/group (umask=0022,gid=...,uid=... or something)
check the fstab manpage (in kde use konqueror and go to man:/mount and select mount.8.gz, else open a terminal and type "man 8 mount" - dunno how to do it with gnome)

good luck

Last edited:

Lex

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/"an existing dir here" -t vfat

and if you want it to be mounted at startup edit fstab like blight said

blight

you should add the entry to /etc/fstab if you
a) want it to be mounted automatically at startup
b) you want to be able to mount the harddisk as non-superuser

if you want automatic mounting at boot, add "auto" option, else "noauto" and if you want users to be able to mount/umount add "user" option

blight said:
you should add the entry to /etc/fstab if you
a) want it to be mounted automatically at startup
b) you want to be able to mount the harddisk as non-superuser

if you want automatic mounting at boot, add "auto" option, else "noauto" and if you want users to be able to mount/umount add "user" option

Yeah, thx a lot dude, glad to know theres someone round here who knows more than turning your PC on/off.
I tried it and it worked really fine, i used "default" in that field, the only problem was that I hadnt created the /mnt/win_c dir, and didnt know I had to.
And thx to Lex too.