What's new

Faster Fps In Chankast At...

BarMan

Proud Chankast Donater
50% CPU!?!?!??!

This seems to be mainly with Capcom 2D games like Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear X (Only 2 games I have to test). Maybe this could be the KEY to speeding up other games in Chankast! :D

I mean check it out for yourself:
menu-100.jpg

menu-50.jpg

defeat-100.jpg

defeat-50.jpg

vs-100.jpg

vs-50.jpg

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Chankast is CPU limited, not videocard, so overclocking your video card core/mem will do absolutely nothing for Chankast.

The reason lower CPU gives more FPS is because you're virtually underclocking the SH-4 (the Dreamcast's main CPU), allowing your CPU to do more, as it doesn't have to work as hard at say 100 CPU.

OP
B

BarMan

Proud Chankast Donater
Ermm... but how does working LESS make MORE???

I mean I don't get it, if the CPU works less that tends to mean you get less out of it... right?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
BarMan said:
Ermm... but how does working LESS make MORE???

I mean I don't get it, if the CPU works less that tends to mean you get less out of it... right?

No, the emulated CPU runs at a lower speed, causing your physical CPU to have to do less to emulate the emulated CPU.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Mant0r said:
But then the emulated cpu is doing less work which should = slower game performance.

That depends on the game and the speed of your computer. Guilty Gear X isn't the best example due to it not being very intensive. Try running something like SA2 at 50, you'll see the emulated CPU causing slowdown, not your cpu.

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Mant0r said:
But then the emulated cpu is doing less work which should = slower game performance.

no, it's the same as the principe of frame skipping, since you don't have to run the emulator entirely as it should be, you gain ressources for your cpu, and these ressources can be allocating to make more work...

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Mant0r said:
Hmmm, I see where you are both coming from.

If this is the case then why not always run it at 50% ?

because you loose in real frame rate, you don't have 50 or 60 fps, but 20 or 30... it's not as smooth as the dreamcast...

mezkal

Man on a mission
I think we need some clarification here. So here goes:-

Chankast is not a real DreamCast it is a program that simulates various functions of a real Dreamcast in order to allow the execution of real dreamcast software on a current PC.

Like any program certain aspects will require more of the host PC's processing power than others at times.

The spam listed above doesn't really prove much at all. It's one case scenario, demonstrating Chankast's power at emulating the Dreamcast running a rather simple game (ie very few 3D translations and limited alpha processing).

When we change the speed of "emulated SH4" (DC's CPU) we are really only changing the amount of time Chankast is giving it in relation to the other emulated devices (sound : ACIA/Redbook Audio, gfx : PVR2 and GD-ROM reader) that make up the rest of Chankast's emulated suite of devices that work in concert to simulate a working Dreamcast. If we give more of the host PC's clock cycles to the emulated SH4 (by pressing + numerous times), we, in effect, take some of the same clock cycles away from the other emulated devices as mentioned before. The reverse is true in the SPAM mentioned above : taking away clock cycles from the emulated SH4 gives more of them to the rest of the devices, in this case the emulated PVR2 gfx engine, meaning that we see an overall increase the number of frames per second.

This only applies on a case by case basis, as different Dreamcast programs (games ands apps) may require different aspects of the emulated devices to be 100% operational (ie not having the host PC's clock cycles taken from) to remain functional.

It would be nice if people would recognise Chankast as an emulator and not treat it like a game. It's a serious peice of software, that has taken quite some time to come to the current wonderful stage that it has reached.

Cheers,

mezkal

Weyland

Weyland Yutani Corporation
hey cooliscool, easy mate, I know that, maybe people want better performance allround and not just chankast ??

I'm a graphics programmer myself, I know the difference between CPU/GPU bottlenecks, especially in emulation ;)

cheers

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Why does everyone think I'm being rude to them lately? :) I meant nothing by it. :D Maybe I should use more smilies? ;) :icecream:

morpheusx

Weyland said:
hey cooliscool, easy mate, I know that, maybe people want better performance allround and not just chankast ??

I'm a graphics programmer myself, I know the difference between CPU/GPU bottlenecks, especially in emulation ;)

cheers

lol@weyland