What's new

fastboot and binhack link dead, some help needed please

noals

hi there, i have a bin of the last blade 2 so i tryed on chakast and the game didn't work so i did a search on this forum.
i found the game cant work because of an echelon intro so i continued some search and found that i must change some files on the .bin to get the game working like 1ST_READ.BIN or some other.
i continue my search... :cool: and i think i can change the cd image with fastboot + hackbin right ?
so i went to this post to try but the links are dead...
can someone help me please, i didnt find where to get that. ( if i need that ^^ )
thx
ciao

Whirlinurd

I don't think that you got it just right. Fastboot is a package that builds a image from the existing data game files with including 4 seconds audio track so that the dreamcast can boot to the ip.bin. Binhack is a tool that rewrites some information within the image so that it will point to the ip.bin within the structure of the dreamcast data game files. Not sure if the last one is entirely correct.

You can not change the cd image with these tools to get it to work if the game has an echelon intro. The problem is that this intro in integrated within the 1st_read.bin file. The only way to fix this is removing the intro data from the 1st_read.bin and creating a new 1st_read.bin without any echelon data. I tried it once but do not have enough knowledge about hex editing and actually rebuilding a correct sized new 1st_read.bin that would boot.

This doesn't really make it work for you but now you know why. Maybe someone else knows the procedure to make all this work for you.

OP
noals

noals

maybe i hope.
thx for explain and help. :chinese:
ciao

edit : i hope someone will can do something for the dead links, that can be usefull too for me or others.

edit 2 : i found that on the ngemu.com's forum :
Some people may wish to remove the Echelon intro for one reason or another, a major one being that the intro sometimes screws up the sound/music initialization in their rip of Unreal Tournament (making it emit a nasty screeching sound until a game is started).
(Following example applies to DOA2LE. You can use a similar method for the other games, but the file size will be different.)

1. Extract the 1ST_READ.BIN file from the CDI or your CD.
2. Fire up your hex-editor (I like HEdit or Hex Workshop) and open 1ST_READ.BIN, go to offset 0xF0000 and copy the Hex all the way to 983040 (the end).
3. Make a new file 1929928 bytes large, and paste the contents of the clipboard into it.
4. Save the file, and place it into a directory (ie, C:\SELFBOOTDOA2LE), and extract the data from the CD or the CDI file into that directory as well. Now just follow ECHELON's self-boot tutorial and re-image the CD

i dont really understand all but i will try ^^

Last edited:
OP
noals

noals

ok i tryed to change the files but i have 2 problemes.
i cant find how create a correct size file, a very strange thing indeed, it's like : how 1 can be 2 without add 1 ? :alien2:
and i dont know how create a image files with some files put in a directory too.
my files will maybe dont work but i cant do test so im a little stuck.
someone got an idea ?
thx
cya