What's new

Failed to allocate memory

Clements

Mystic Gohan said:
This error can come up at any time. I don't see why it came up on my pc since I have a gig of ram. It only happened when I installed service pack 2 on my pc.

Same here...

I therefore conclude:

Don't install SP2 if you want to use PJ64!

SquareSoft0

Moogle
I reverted to SP1 and still get the error, my PJ64 was working fine on SP2 for a week, then the error came out of the blue... Reinstalled SP2 and still no changes...

SquareSoft0

Moogle
Ahaaa, opened another 766-4096 of pagefile on my other hard drive and fixed the problem and also fixed alot of stuttering from texture caching in PC games!

SquareSoft0

Moogle
Ack, now it's back out of nowhere!!!
EDIT: Guess I should just edit my post for updates, reallocated the extra pagefile and PJ64 works again, I just need to reallocate every time I restart the computer, so I added a BAT file to run it every time I shut down.

Last edited:

JayRd7

Its not a screw up by the programmers, it just means that you have too many proccesses runnign so Pj 64 doesnt have enough memory to run. I got this once when i had a million windows open and tried to play pj 64. With no other windows open pj 64 has plents of memory and itll run fine. PJ 64 uses about I think... 30000 to 60000 kbs of memory! about 30-60 mbs. If you only have 128 mbs of memory like me, thats alot being used up.

SquareSoft0

Moogle
Look, I have 512, with a minimum of 300 available, and before reallocating I had 4GB of pagefile. My drive is too fragmented for there to be enough contigious space for PJ to stay on the page, so I opened up another 4GB on a completely defragged drive and now it runs fine and so do all my PC games. Your explination is also a reason for the error to happen, many things can cause this error though.

Clements

JayRd7 said:
Its not a screw up by the programmers, it just means that you have too many proccesses runnign so Pj 64 doesnt have enough memory to run. I got this once when i had a million windows open and tried to play pj 64. With no other windows open pj 64 has plents of memory and itll run fine. PJ 64 uses about I think... 30000 to 60000 kbs of memory! about 30-60 mbs. If you only have 128 mbs of memory like me, thats alot being used up.

Nah, I have 39 processes runnig right now and have a commit charge of 309/4000, and have over 550 MBs worth of system RAM free and it still doesn't work, ever since I installed SP2 for XP. Worked absolutely fine before no matter how many apps I had open, and 1964 works perfectly. You get the error when you open up other stuff since you have 128MB RAM, I have eight times more than that, so I shouldn't have any memory problems (but I do).

It looks like PJ64 uses the pagefile. If it used the system RAM exclusively, then I can't see why there would be a problem.

SquareSoft0

Moogle
Yes, SP2 does screw something up, but reallocating extra pagefile to a seperate HDD fixed the problem for me while on SP2. Make sure you're using RC2 of SP2 also because it's the most updated. (v2149)

greyfox

For those of you having this problem in XP I may have a solution for you. Try this, in windows explorer go to the folder where your project64 program is, locate the main exe file, right click it and select properties. Choose the compatability tab and from the dropdown box select the windows98/ME environment.
Apply this, and then hopefully when you run the program again it will work.

Good luck.

Clements

greyfox said:
For those of you having this problem in XP I may have a solution for you. Try this, in windows explorer go to the folder where your project64 program is, locate the main exe file, right click it and select properties. Choose the compatability tab and from the dropdown box select the windows98/ME environment.
Apply this, and then hopefully when you run the program again it will work.

Good luck.

Thank you, that works! :)

Geoz

De Master
Strange, I tried that when I had that error and it didn’t work, o well, the more suggestions the better though.

EDIT: Just thought id mention that using GoBack, if your blessed to have it, works too.

Last edited:

Warlyik

I've also recently had this problem. I took a long break from N64 emulation stuff because I've already exhausted by gaming on the system, but I wanted to play Ogre Battle again. I gave up yesterday after looking through here.. I tried ending processes and all that good stuff.

However, today I ended up clearing a huge list of running processes (I usually run above 30 processes for no reason other than I'm too lazy to suspend them from starting up originally) I'm not sure which one allowed it to work, but apparently it's now working. I turned off most running processes that were labeled "Owner" and any that I knew didn't need to be run under "System". If that helps anyone with this problem, good. It helped me.

Just giving my input into the problem. Apparently it was one of my processes (It may have been Norton Antivirus, but any assortment of things. I'll do this again next reboot and single which one it was, but for now I'll enjoy the ability of it working)

SquareSoft0

Moogle
Hasn't anyone else tried reallocating page-file? Just go to custom, change the pagefile to anything, then put it back where it was so you can apply and restart. I do not suggest manually inputting pagefile unless you know what you're doing, the max. is 4096MB, eqv. to 4GIGs, which makes pagefile safe for FAT32. NTFS could go higher, but Microsoft decided to not let that happen...

Warlyik

Well, what I did was a little simpler, but it's whatever works for you. The more suggestions to try out the better for everyone else. It may be a process, it may be your settings, or you may just be really unlucky and your whole comp is screwed over.

Warlyik

Ok, I just restarted again and I pinpointed MY problematic process: rundll32.exe. This should be a system process, and you can choose through msconfig to stop it from initializing on startup. As far as I know it's not a critical process and seems to do nothing :\ But that's what the problem was for me. Go problem solving.

Geoz

De Master
You hit the button in your post above. Its whatever works for you. (If you are lucky enough to have fixed it)

Either way its a XP problem or at least ive never heard of a 2k person having the same problems...

olo567

Yes it is

This really is a screw-up, and I'll tell you why. Normally, this error message means that there isn't enough free RAM to run the program. However, even users with sufficient amounts of free RAM and pagefile caches are getting this error, because something in the programming prevents some users who are on Windows XP and Server 2K3 and use an nvidia graphics card from starting the program.

That's all these senseless posts have said to be, and no process terminations have solved a thing. Therefore, it is a fuckup by the programmers that they must not have been able to anticipate.

Daks

Hye guys, i was having the same problem as everyone else, but it's now fixed thanks to the guy who suggested changing the option in explorer. The other problem i have is.. i've just downloaded the Project64 Emulator and theg ame has loaded, but it's lagging something shocking and the sound is crap.. how can i fix this?