What's new

Extracting sounds from a rom?

hi there.
i wanted to extract sounds of oot(not record!). sounds like hitting a stone or links shout when hes falling. is that possible? if it is, then how do i do it and can i use the files(i guess they are in an unknown format)?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
i have also a question: is it possible to replace the music of a rom with other music(+other codec)?

This has been asked before...
And the answer is that unless someone is willing to make a dedicated sound plugin and lots of free time, it's not going to happen. N64 games use MIDI sound, that is synthesized and played by the software in the game.

Iconoclast

Your link does not answer this user's question. It gives him a link to ripped and emulated music for the console, not the sound effects he asked for.
hi there.
i wanted to extract sounds of oot(not record!). sounds like hitting a stone or links shout when hes falling. is that possible? if it is, then how do i do it and can i use the files(i guess they are in an unknown format)?
Yes, it is possible, but I want to discourage you from even trying it. Are you afraid that, if you recorded it into a WAV file instead, the quality would be 0.001 percent below perfect? Such is not the case. I recommend just recording the sounds using the native audio plugin for Project64: Jabo's DirectSound.

Or you could use Nemu64's audio plugin.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Allow me to post two N64 audio extraction tools that I found on Dextrose.com, I have tried both of them and had little luck with them (Being that there are so many games with different bank addresses). I was able to extract MarioKart 64 sounds with these tools, so it is compatable with a few games but I recommend you use SRIP, because that is the only tool I have had luck getting sounds from N64 games.

Enjoy...

OP
P

plzdontbugme

Banned
well, if i record it, i would also record the bg music...

thanks cpu master, ill try those tools later(they look complicating and i dont have time yet)!