What's new

expert advice please...

platinum

ok i ordered a n64 --> USB adapter and i plan on playing Zelda OOT and MM. now what combination of emu/pluggins/vid card should i use to get the BEST experience?

Currently my system is a 1.5ghz athlon px, 256mb pc2700 ram, and a gf2 ultra.

now i also have a voodoo3 agp that i can use if it would be better.

thanks

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Actually, for N64 emulation, the Voodoo3 would probably be better at this point, if you use Glide64.

*clarification: i.e., the Voodoo3 would only be better for N64 emulation, for just about anything else stick with the GeForce2. It depends on what else you plan to do with your PC.

aprentice

Tagrineth said:
Actually, for N64 emulation, the Voodoo3 would probably be better at this point, if you use Glide64.

he asked for professional advice :p

a geforce 2 is sufficient for most opengl/directx plugins, a v3 would be no good for glide64 considering it uses alot of gf4/5 features that earlier voodoos dont have.

Clements

Use Jabo's or glN64() video plugins if you plan on using your GeForce 2 Ultra.
Use PJ64, or 1964 + PJ64's RSP.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
aprentice said:
he asked for professional advice :p

a geforce 2 is sufficient for most opengl/directx plugins, a v3 would be no good for glide64 considering it uses alot of gf4/5 features that earlier voodoos dont have.

Um... the only features in VOODOO4 and 5 that V3 doesn't have are as follows:

• T-Buffer - V4/5 have anti-aliasing, V3 does not.
  • 32-bit colour in 3D
  • 32-bit Z buffer in 3D
  • Support for textures larger than 256x256x16
  • Support for texture compression
  • SLI support (Avenger doesn't support it. VSA-100 does - hence the Voodoo5's existance)

That is effectively it. It's kinda like the move from GeForce256 to GeForce2 - the only change was GF2's ability to take two bilinear texture samples per clock (they both have two TMU's per pipe, but GF256's second TMU is broken and can only help in fetching trilinear samples, and the GF256 does in fact support the "nVidia shading rasteriser", they just intentionally disabled it to make GF2 sound better on paper).

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Ouch. No anti-aliasing or 32-bit 3D? I tried that with my Radeon 8500LE to see what kind of speed increase I could get. It wasn't worth it. Quality 4xAA and 32-bit are what I always use.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Lillymon said:
Ouch. No anti-aliasing or 32-bit 3D? I tried that with my Radeon 8500LE to see what kind of speed increase I could get. It wasn't worth it. Quality 4xAA and 32-bit are what I always use.

V3 is old, hun. Real old. Like super old. Older than old.

The first graphics card to have user-enabled forceable AA was the PowerVR series 2 (NEC Neon-250) which came after V3 and TNT2. =)

Gorxon

Administrator
Tagrineth said:
V3 is old, hun. Real old. Like super old. Older than old.

The first graphics card to have user-enabled forceable AA was the PowerVR series 2 (NEC Neon-250) which came after V3 and TNT2. =)
Going off-topic for a bit:
[ 22:04:19 ] [Martin64] : http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?p=164903#post164903 <- omg! girls talking to eachother at emutalk. gotta be the first time :p
[ 22:04:37 ] [Martin64] : aww...calling the other girl "hun" how sweet
[ 22:04:47 ] [Martin64] : :p

Now, carry on :D

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Speaking of anti-aliasing, why does it always vanish when I enable the framebuffer in Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1? Enabling it in low resolution and updated only every other frame makes Mario Kart 64 look OK, but it's terrible without anti-aliasing!