What's new

Expansion Pak, Star Wars Racer & Project64 1.6

dsilvahub

Emulation Addict
Hello,
Am newbie with Project64 so bear with me.

Am using Star Wars Racer but don't know how to enable the expansion pak, I have read the gamefaq and user manual. I know you can crank up the graphics res with Jabo's plugin, but I think that there were settings in the sw racer game that were disabled without the use of the expansion pak, is it called something else in p64?

Thanks in advance,
dsilvahub.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i've been asking but afaik never got a clear answer: does this game do anyting with the exp pak other than double the res? if not, theres no point enabling it.

OP
dsilvahub

dsilvahub

Emulation Addict
Hey Smiff,
I'll have to check my original cartridge version but is that all it is then, a case of doubling the res? Exactly what resolution settings on project64 are equal to having the expansion pak enabled?

Thanks,
dsilvahub

Ps how do you enable the expansion pak? just so I know.

suanyuan

dsilvahub said:
Hey Smiff,
I'll have to check my original cartridge version but is that all it is then, a case of doubling the res? Exactly what resolution settings on project64 are equal to having the expansion pak enabled?

Thanks,
dsilvahub

Ps how do you enable the expansion pak? just so I know.

Star War Racer did double the resoultion when you enable the expansion pack. It's looks very great and very close to the the visual quality of PC version.

OP
dsilvahub

dsilvahub

Emulation Addict
I should have mentioned, sw racer says at startup expansion pak supported but not detected, does that make a difference?

Ta.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
my comrade gent informs me that the game DOES only double the res, so as i said, you can only make things worse by enabling this.

(why? because its HLE video, not a real N64)

if you still want to do it, change RDRAM size to 8MB in core ROM Settings.

Last edited:
OP
dsilvahub

dsilvahub

Emulation Addict
Thanks got it now, couldn't find core rom settings originally as had advanced settings hidden (duh).

Got it running with expansion pak, the strange thing I didn't understand was that before I changed the RDRAM settings to 8 meg all my other expansion pak games (perfect dark, F1 World Grand Prix II) were all running at enhanced mode but sw racer wasn't, might be HLE Video as you said.

SW looks good now, the screens half way off the monitor but I think I know how to fix that, saw a posting for it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

dsilvahub.

OP
dsilvahub

dsilvahub

Emulation Addict
Ok don't quote me on that, but it looks clearer, faces on the characters seem clearer, I don't know - I can still only see half the screen, that don't help.

I'm sure I remember Turok 2 SOE (when I had it) had more features with the expansion pack then simply upping the graphics like racer, that was cool.

Any idea how I sort my screen, I looked at: http://www.emutalk.net/project64/19093-star-wars-pod-racer-emulation-expansion-pak.html but that person was using a beta of Project64 ergo the problem, I'm not (1.6). I've tried switching to glN64 v0.4.1 but no difference, still got the screen halfway off the monitor???

da1writer

dsilvahub said:
Thanks got it now, couldn't find core rom settings originally as had advanced settings hidden (duh).

Got it running with expansion pak, the strange thing I didn't understand was that before I changed the RDRAM settings to 8 meg all my other expansion pak games (perfect dark, F1 World Grand Prix II) were all running at enhanced mode but sw racer wasn't, might be HLE Video as you said.

SW looks good now, the screens half way off the monitor but I think I know how to fix that, saw a posting for it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

dsilvahub.
Yeah, to fix the screen problem, check out this thread.
http://www.emutalk.net/project64/27...pj64-game-compatibility-please-beta13-38.html

da1writer

I still haven't figured out why it is causing so many artifacts on screen, I'm still fiddling around with it after I found the screen fix. Maybe Smiff or Gent can help me on this...