What's new

Emulation Help

GodofCats

I have a ton of Nintendo 64 Emulators and a ton of plugins for them. I have tried a lot of combinations, yet the games all run choppy. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Pick one emulator and one set of plugins. Then try to report specific problems on a per game basis. This should help narrow down some of the possibilities of what could be wrong. Knowing the game will be a plus. Also make sure the games are [!] versions which means they have been run past GoodN64 ROM utility to verify they are "good".

Are you using the default drivers in Windows XP for your GeForce card?

If so, go to Nvidia's website or your card manufacturers website and download the latest drivers. The default MS drivers are horrid.

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
If you're running with sound, it's possible that may be causing the choppiness. Have you tried comparing on/off performance?

OP
G

GodofCats

Thanks guys, I've found a graphics plugin that works well with Project 64, and I'm using that to play my games. I've found that if I don't use sound, it works even better... can you guys tell me which audio plugin might work well with a crappy 16 bit sound card?

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
Jabo's audio plugin works really well, but it's got some noticeable lag.You can adjust the buffer length on Azimer's plugin, but unless you have a honkin' system it can crackle a bit.

If you want more speed, I strongly recommend you try out 1964. It's the r0x0r. ;) (Note: Jabo's audio doesn't work with this emu, but Azimer's works better with it anyway IMO)

scotty

The Great One
for your system Specs, you should Use PJ64 and its default plugins (V1.5 SP1), as you should have no prolems with any game. 1964 is best if you have a slower processor and some high sys requirements are needed for some games. Your 1.7 GHz should do fine, except for Conker's BFD and DK64, you might have some trouble with, but shouldnt be a big deal.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Your 1.7 GHz should do fine, except for Conker's BFD

His processor should be fine in running conkers bfd because I was running it on a 1.2ghz system with a geforce2 mx400 gfx card at full speed.