What's new

DVD to M4V (or other format) help please

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Anyone here well versed in video conversion, specifically encoding DVD into M4V format? I am using Handbrake under OSX currently.

I am serving M4V type files encoded 720p from a WMP12 DLNA server in Win7. I have an LG 46LD550 LCD TV. When I go to 'My Media' to watch the movies from my DLNA server I get a choice of 'original' or 'full' as the screen sizes available. Original is center screen about 1/4 of the whole size and full is again center and about 2/3 total. Basically both have black boarders around the top, bottom and sides and simply vary in how much space they eat up.

After calling LG it appears I may simply have no choice but to encode into a different resolution to get this to work. According to the LG rep those are in fact my only two choices for any change in view size. Oddly the TV itself based on what signal is being sent can do 'zoom' and other type modes like that to fill the screen more to preference. So my plan is to make them 1080p and force them to fill the screen, however Handbrake appears to not go higher then the source itself only smaller?

And I do get that I won't get any better detail going from 720 to 1080. Again my only purpose doing that would be to fill the screen as much as possible.

Personally 720p is my preferred encoding as I am delivering this content to other various devices wirelessly through my home via iTunes Home Sharing (for an AppleTV 2G) as well as using Air Video server/app to deliver to my iPod's, Iphone, and iPad. The DLNA side is only for the computers in my home, the XBOX 360, and the two LG TV's. Also considering the file sizes as well to get to 1080p and the on the fly conversion that will likely have to be done on per device I would rather again retain the 720p format but will switch if needed.

so to sum it up, how can I make my output from my encoded DVD's simply 'stretch' to fit on the TV's without breaking compatibility with my other devices?

If anyone is interested in hearing about my setup as well I've planned on posting it on my blog soon I just want to complete my home diagram. I thought with sheer amount of devices being used, the single server running multiple apps to deliver content, and it all being wireless (mostly) in a 3 story house might be of interest to some.