What's new

DVD-R help needed

dreamer

i will get right to the point here and keep it simple:

i got a dvd re-writer (PIONEER)

i use Xcopy Express program which claims to copy dvd's and compress them
to fit on one 4.5 gb dvd-r in a simple two step procedure

whenever i try and copy onto a dvd-r it takes 15 mins to burn, it should take at least 30, the data appears to be on the disk but it will only show up through alcohol 120%

otherwise it appears that there is no data on the dvd-r, and will not play either on a computer or normal dvd player

does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? will some brand of dvd-r not function when trying to burn compressed dvd's onto them?

any help would be appriciated as this is driving me crazy

Gorxon

Administrator
Hmm..are you sure it's meant for video DVD's? Sounds like it's meant for data DVDs from what you describe.

Wild guess though...

Alchy

Okay, first things first: if you're doing dvd-video, and you're not ultra-picky (and I do mean really damn picky) on video quality, ditch everything else and grab DVDshrink. It's the best all-in-one solution by far. It will take more or less every dvd and reduce it very accurately to whatever size you want, in less than an hour for the biggest 8Gb dvd video discs (on an average PC), or 5 mins if it's already 4.5Gb. The GUI is great, it's really user friendly. I think it's free too...

DVD Shrink outputs vob files ready for burning - in my experience, the best burning prog is Nero, as it has a dedicated dvd-video burning option. Stick the video files in the "video" sub-folder of the disc and burn.

If you're not doing DVD video, I don't really know what you're asking, given that you tried to run the files on a set-top dvd player. I don't have any experience with the prog you mention, but I'm pretty sure it's for compressing video...

sheik124

Emutalk Member
try what the nice folks above mentioned, and try to use a good type of media, like Ridata (Ritek) or PioData (Pioneer OEM Discs)

OP
D

dreamer

<i>Okay, first things first: if you're doing dvd-video, and you're not ultra-picky (and I do mean really damn picky) on video quality, ditch everything else and grab DVDshrink. It's the best all-in-one solution by far. It will take more or less every dvd and reduce it very accurately to whatever size you want, in less than an hour for the biggest 8Gb dvd video discs (on an average PC), or 5 mins if it's already 4.5Gb. The GUI is great, it's really user friendly. I think it's free too...

DVD Shrink outputs vob files ready for burning - in my experience, the best burning prog is Nero, as it has a dedicated dvd-video burning option. Stick the video files in the "video" sub-folder of the disc and burn.</i>

thankyou for the advice alchy, it sounds like the perfect solution for me. but when i got shrink it wont let me back up any copies of any dvd's :(

it gives an error and tell me the dvd is copywrite, even if they are my own original dvd's. i mean what the hell is the use of a program that compresses dvd's if it cant compress them for copywrite reasons, (not meaning to sound harsh) but what the hell is wrong with it. i am using version 316 of dvd shrink.

you sound like you have had experience of the prog Alchy, what happened if you use it? please help

Stezo2k

S-2K
sheik124 said:
try what the nice folks above mentioned, and try to use a good type of media, like Ridata (Ritek) or PioData (Pioneer OEM Discs)

i also highly recomend Bulkpaq (Princo) DVD-Rs, they are the most compatible and most relyable i have used, not once coaster yet